Virtual PC on iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
I have a 2.0 GHz iMac G5 and was considering getting virtual PC for it. Mainly to run apps like Lotus Notes and Visio 2003 that aren't available on Mac.

I have read alot of posts on how slow VPC is, but does anyone know of how the performance of VPC on a 2 Ghz G5 would map to an Intel Processor? Like 1.0 Ghz PIII or something. Or better yet, does someone have it that could run a benchmark on it to see what the performance really is, rather than just "really slow?"

Thanks,
Ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
RGertner said:
I have a 2.0 GHz iMac G5 and was considering getting virtual PC for it. Mainly to run apps like Lotus Notes and Visio 2003 that aren't available on Mac.

I have read alot of posts on how slow VPC is, but does anyone know of how the performance of VPC on a 2 Ghz G5 would map to an Intel Processor? Like 1.0 Ghz PIII or something. Or better yet, does someone have it that could run a benchmark on it to see what the performance really is, rather than just "really slow?"

Thanks,
Ray

It's crazy slow. On my 1.8 G5 (which is hardly even measurably slower than the 2.0 according to xbench) runs VPC at an equivalent of 560mhz, 256mb RAM, and 16gb VRAM. Also, VPC seems to have problems with Tiger at the moment, and often just won't work.

-Chris

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Thanks for the link :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
Thanks for the link, but without my VPN connection, I cannot replicate with the Notes Servers.

Thanks,
Ray

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.