Help asap!

Reaction score
Hello, MF.

I used time capsule to back up my macbook, on my external hard drive. & when i connect the hard drive to my pc, and try to save stuff on it i am unable to do so. It wouldnt even detect the hard drive on my Pc. How can i fix this? Please Help

Thank You.

Reaction score
The external HD is formatted as a Mac OS Journaling file system & PC don't recognize the Mac OS jfs.
You can not "fix it".
If you decided to stop using the external drive for Time Capsule, then you could wipe it clean and reformat as a FAT16 disk. This will allow it to be used by both Mac OS & Windows. But there are a lot of limitation with FAT16 - so be ready for other issues.

Reaction score
I think you mean FAT 32.... I don't think anyone has used FAT 16 since the early 90's.

Yes, if you use the utility it will format FAT 16 but you can do FAT 32 from the command line and even easier just use your PC to format it. MAC can and does use FAT32 with no problems.

As for the rest, the above is correct... TC requires a MAC file system on the drive and windows can't naitivly read it. HOWEVER, you can buy utilities that will allow you to use the drive WITH MAC JFS....

Mediafour | MacDrive

I have used this and it works well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
there is also a free utility called HFSExplorer ... this however only has read capability

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.