• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Sleep loses internet connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
is there anyway to keep online when i put my ibook to sleep (close it) i want my friends to see my ichat away messages...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
There is a program that will keep your iBook awake when you close the lid but it is not recommended because PowerBooks and iBooks release heat throught the keyboard so you risk destroying your computer.

Just leave your iBook and have the monitor shut off

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Full sleep disconnects all I/O, including the network connection(s.)

You can save some power (and prolong the life of your LCD) by setting the brightness to zero (backlight off.) You can also set the disk to spin down after an interval.

OP
macAttack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
thanks for the helps guys...this is why this is my fav forum.....do you think that software that was mentioned would damage my computer if the only applictaion i left up was ichat?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
macAttack said:
thanks for the helps guys...this is why this is my fav forum.....do you think that software that was mentioned would damage my computer if the only applictaion i left up was ichat?

There's no real way of knowing, but why even take the chance? If you set the hard disk to sleep when possible, turn the brightness of the display all the way down, and put the processor to reduced performance, you'll still be saving energy and wear on the machine, but can keep your applications running and connections open.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.