Another Mini-DV to HDMI Thread

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have read several threads about hooking up my macbook pro to my TV and I understand that it depends on what model you have as to whether or not you can get the sound to come across using the audio port.

I plan on buying a mini-dv to HDMI cable to get my video but sound is my main issue.

It's a Toshiba Regza 50" or so - Im going to find the owners manual to get the exact model number so I can check for an audio port that can be used while on a HDMI connection.

While I source the user manual is there anything else that I need to do? Any other options if I dont have the audio port? (a receiver for a surround system is out of the question)

Hopefully bobtomay with chime in!

Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
lol - If sound from your TV is mandatory, I sure wouldn't purchase that cable... unless you like owning extra cables sitting around in drawers.

At least not until you know it will work. My best guess without the model #, is that you will need to use VGA.

OP
B
Reaction score
lol - If sound from your TV is mandatory, I sure wouldn't purchase that cable... unless you like owning extra cables sitting around in drawers.

At least not until you know it will work. My best guess without the model #, is that you will need to use VGA.

So a Mini DVI To VGA Adaptor? I would still need to get my sound across using what?

edit: The TV doesnt have the port for sound to work with HDMI....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have you got the model # of the TV?

Have not looked at the Toshibas in a couple of years, but I think the PC port has your standard RCA left and right plugs. If so, you would use a mini-plug (3.5mm) to RCA for sound like this one.

Look at the back of your TV first.

And your MBP is one with a mini-DVI, not the mini displayport right?

OP
B
Reaction score
Have you got the model # of the TV?

Have not looked at the Toshibas in a couple of years, but I think the PC port has your standard RCA left and right plugs. If so, you would use a mini-plug (3.5mm) to RCA for sound like this one.

Look at the back of your TV first.

And your MBP is one with a mini-DVI, not the mini displayport right?

Still looking for the book to get the exact model number...

This TV is actuall at work, we have one MBP with DVI and a macbook with mini-dv

OP
B
Reaction score
Okay, I've gotten all of the sound figured out and the video for the MBP is all good using a VGA to DVI cable. Now I'm working on the Macbook.

It has a mini-DVI port. I have a mini-DVI to DVI adapter...but here is the problem.

The mini-DVI to DVI adapter is terminates in a female DVI (D) port, which is incompatible with male DVI (I) ports:

02-dvid-01.jpg
181px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png

Does that just mean that I need a dvi-d single link female to male dvi-d dual link

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, the mini-DVI to DVI is digital only. You won't get that connector to analog VGA without a converter box which is way more expensive then a new adapter.

For VGA you're going to need a mini-DVI to VGA adapter and you can probably save a little money on Amazon or monoprice and then a VGA cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.