iphone wifi only works close range!

Reaction score
I have a iphone 3g 16gb that picks up wifi really really good, like it should, however i recently bought a used 3g 8gb. I unlocked it ( the only way i could afford to have an iphone). The wifi on it works, but only when im about 10-15ft away from the router. This is not just for the router in my house, but at other places too.

I have reset the phone twice and set it up as a new phone and still the same problem. Im running the 3.1 software, not sure if that matters. I heard some of it being a software issue, but could it be an internal issue??? needs new processor? how much does that run??

Could the Apple store help me if i take it there?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Update to the latest version of the iPhone OS for starters..if it's an "internal" issue, you can't do anything about that..

Did you get the phone from someone who hadn't damaged it? Perhaps the WiFi antenna is damaged?

Regards

OP
J
Reaction score
i thought i had the latest. How do i update the OS software? i just update if it says update when i connect to itunes.

The only damage on the phone was cracked screen which i got fixed from a guy on craigslist.

how much do the antennas cost and to replace? estimate

thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
so i saw some of the network antennas on ebay for like 5.00, has anybody seen success from the replacement of the antenna?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
v3.1.2 is the latest version. You can plug the phone in and ask iTunes to check for an update..

I'm not sure what the antenna looks like and how it's routed on the iPhone..and not sure any random antenna would work either..

Regards

OP
J
Reaction score
Problem solved!!!! Some guy told me that I would have to replace something idk and it would cost 170...yeaa I was like noooo. I was gona sell the phone, then I was out wit my girl. Dropped my phone getting out of my truck and ever since then! Works perfect!

Wifi not workingg? Drop that ishhhh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.