Threads showing up as unread

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, you can probably tell by my member since date and my low (low) post count. I've been lurking for a few days now, and can't seem to figure out how to get the threads that I've already read to show up as, well, read. The threads seem to remain bold, unless I refresh, or log out and log back in. Am I just being forum challenged? Have I missed a setting somewhere? I am new to this site, but not new to forums, and have never had this problem before.

Thanks.

Oh, and I'm not a complete mac ignoramus, however I have never owned one and am hoping that an update to the mbp is released soon so that I can stop drooling on this stupid pc keyboard.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Does your browser clear cookies automatically when you close it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's probably why then. The forum keeps track of thread status by cookies set in your browser.

OP
generic chick
Reaction score
That would explain why the threads are marked as read when I close my browser, but not why they don't show up as read when I'm just reading the site.

I changed my preferences to try out your theory and it made no difference.

I take it you don't have this problem?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I haven't run into this issue. But then, I leave my account logged in and don't clear cookies unless there is a particular issue. And under those circumstances, once I log back into the forum, it tracks my read/unread threads.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you are just using the back button - for example using the "New Threads" or "Today's Posts" links - clicking on a thread, reading it and then using the back button...

This forum does not show the thread you just read as having been read at least for me - on any browser - on any machine I use, Mac or Windows.
Another forum I use does immediately show that thread as having been read.
This forum does not until I refresh the link and I have not figured out why. They both use vBulletin.
Have never asked the question either. :Oops:

OP
generic chick
Reaction score
No, I haven't run into this issue. But then, I leave my account logged in and don't clear cookies unless there is a particular issue. And under those circumstances, once I log back into the forum, it tracks my read/unread threads.

I'll try leaving myself logged in and see if that helps.

If you are just using the back button - for example using the "New Threads" or "Today's Posts" links - clicking on a thread, reading it and then using the back button...

This forum does not show the thread you just read as having been read at least for me - on any browser - on any machine I use.
Another forum I use does immediately show that thread as having been read.
This forum does not until I refresh the link and I have not figured out why. They both use vBulletin.

I do use the back button some of the time, but not always. At least if I can't solve the problem, I can take comfort in the fact that I'm not alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Interesting.

If I click on a thread and then when I'm done reading I use the "back" button to go back to the forum list, that thread I just read is no longer bold.
However, I still have to click on "Mark this Forum as Read" at the top when I'm done or else that particular forum will show up as bold when I'm in the main forums menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.