Keystrokes to replace mouse clicks

Reaction score
I have a goal to complete stop using my mouse. In Firefox there is a great feature that allows you to find and follow a link by hitting the ' key, typing in the text of the link you want and then hitting enter.

Is there a key stroke that simulates a mouse click on a found highlighted set of text? That way I can use the find feature in any program to do what the ' key does in Firefox.

OP
A
Reaction score
Maybe easier but not faster... next time you are paying for something or checking into a hotel, notice how much faster the process is when the person serving you is using a system that only allows key strokes. While the mouse was a great and necessary technological achievement it is making us all lazy, dumb and slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Maybe easier but not faster... next time you are paying for something or checking into a hotel, notice how much faster the process is when the person serving you is using a system that only allows key strokes. While the mouse was a great and necessary technological achievement it is making us all lazy, dumb and slow.
You do realize that that person does nothing but book hotel rooms all day? And that that system does nothing but book hotel rooms? Of course it's fast; it's very limited.

I'd suggest you focus on finding the right tool for the task. Unless your job is booking hotel rooms....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
Shortcut keys are blazing fast. Using a mouse doesn't require any skills or thinking. Painfully slow as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Well, since no one who has commented has suggested any mouse click shortcuts, and since I don't know of any, I presume there aren't any.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
Well, since no one who has commented has suggested any mouse click shortcuts, and since I don't know of any, I presume there aren't any.

You are correct. The mouse is for regular users, and it has its purpose, ease of use. That said, power users that require speed and accuracy use keyboad shortcuts for 99% of all commands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You do realize that that person does nothing but book hotel rooms all day? And that that system does nothing but book hotel rooms? Of course it's fast; it's very limited.

I'd suggest you focus on finding the right tool for the task. Unless your job is booking hotel rooms....

Exactly!
I used to work for a retailer and everything we needed to do required an F key for screen-to-screen navigation and Tab to move through the fields.
What you see at the store or at the hotel is not your typical computer user experience. Those people are not browsing websites or clicking on links.

Sorry to burst your bubble. However, you can use your mouse minimally.
There are LOTS of things you can do with the keyboard, including moving through the menus at the top of your screen (File, Edit, View, etc. etc.).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Get a MacBook and use the trackpad. Now there's a time-saver! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Although I'm not sure what you're talking of, I just use the find feature (in ff) tabbing through? macros or scripts.. Is this sort of what you are looking for? Download Xlib - mouseClick - Xlib mouseClick - simulates mouse click - Softpedia. Sorry but it's for PC but if you do a search you might find similar or better for mac
I have a goal to complete stop using my mouse. In Firefox there is a great feature that allows you to find and follow a link by hitting the ' key, typing in the text of the link you want and then hitting enter.

Is there a key stroke that simulates a mouse click on a found highlighted set of text? That way I can use the find feature in any program to do what the ' key does in Firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
maybe this? RFS: keynav - msg#03420 - general but I'm not sure what platform it's for, probably PC or something not mac... But it more than likely is out there..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.