Upgrading hard drive on macbook

Reaction score
I have the first unibody macbook that came out (right before the newpro came out :( ). It has a 2.4 GHz intel processor, 4 GB of ram, and a 250 GB hard drive. I have a lot of music and a few movies which take up a lot of space, so I was thinking about upgrading to a 500 or 640 GB hard drive. I was looking at WD Scorpio Blue 500GB hard drive like this one: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB 2.5" SATA-300 8MB Cache 5400 RPM Notebook Hard Drive - WD5000BEVT - SuperMediaStore.com

I think it will fit. I remember reading somewhere that macbooks take 2.5 inch hard drives that are 9.5 mm high, but will it ruin my computer in any way?
Like will it bee too much for my computer to handle, or will I be ok?
Has anyone else done this?

Thanks in advance.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It will be fine. Linky to the 640 GB for a few bucks more than the 500GB.

OP
tcoffin014
Reaction score
i was looking at that, but for some reason i thought it didn't have the right dimensions. I must have misread it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.