Word 2008 Question!

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but I tried Google already and couldn't figure it out.

I have a document with a Title page and then a Table of Contents. I want to star the numbering after the ToC, but I can only get it to start on the ToC. HELP, please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Isn't the prcedure outlined in Word Help from the Help Menu? I can't look til later...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but I tried Google already and couldn't figure it out.

I have a document with a Title page and then a Table of Contents. I want to star the numbering after the ToC, but I can only get it to start on the ToC. HELP, please!

First, make sure you have selected "Print Layout" from the top menu "View". Then click on "insert page number". When the Page Numbering dialog opens, unselect the option "Show number on first page". Then click "Format".

Another dialog will open offering choices of where to begin the numbering. It's from here where you will be able to select the start of the numbering sequence. Notice it also offers a section and chapter choice.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, but that still didn't work to skip the first TWO pages and have the numbering start at 1 on the third page. I just can't seem to make that work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the help, but that still didn't work to skip the first TWO pages and have the numbering start at 1 on the third page. I just can't seem to make that work.

Yeah, I just tried using the section breaks and that didn't work either. Looks like you'll have to resort to a less elegant way.

OK. Do this: Create your TOC as a separate document (a TOC can have more than one page) and integrate it into the main document after printing. In other words, leave out the TOC in your main document and start your page numbering on the second page which effectively skips the Title page.

I really don't know why Office 2008 does not allow separate and specific numbering since Office 2007 (Windows version) does have that capability.

Sorry, I can't think of another way to do the numbering.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

It has to work! Did you see what Word Help has to say? I have the Missing Manual for Office at home. I'll try to look in there later.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has to work! Did you see what Word Help has to say? I have the Missing Manual for Office at home. I'll try to look in there later.

If you find a solution, please post it so everyone can benefit. It wouldn't be the first time that MS has not documented something in their help file.

BTW, Word help says very little about page numbering.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Page numbering across sections

(Wish I had a scanner! Here goes...)

1. Insert > Break > Section Break (you know where)

2. Click above Break, choose View > Header and Footer

3. Click on a footer above Break

4. On the H&F toolbar, click Insert Page Number (# symbol), then click Format Page number (icon - hover til you find it)

5. Choose number format. Click Start At radio button, click OK.

6. On the H&F toolbar, click Show Next button (or just click a footer in the next section, below Break), then click "Same as Previous" button to deselect it.

7. Repeat step 4.

8. Repeat step 5.

Now, it might be that you can't choose the same number format for both sections. The book suggests two different formats, but does not say that it's required.

Let me know if this helped.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.