switcher but still needs some windows apps

Reaction score
I'm almost a switcher but just need help on some final details.

Here are my functional requirements:

1. I still need to run some windows apps, eg Excel 2009 in Windows is still easier to use for me than Excel on Mac and it's a killer app for me.
2. I need to be able to access files, especially xls, docs and ppts, from both Windows and Mac on The internal HD.

Given those,
1. What would be the recommended dual mode: dual boot or windows emulator, eg parallels?
2. For either option, what would be the best way to partition the HD so I can comply with #2 above?

Excited to dive into this new world.

Many many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
How much time will you be spending in these programs? To me this will determine what would be the best option, because if you will be spending little time in the programs, I would rather dual boot so you can just switch back and forth from OS X to Windows instead of having to turn your computer on and off just to switch. If not, then you can just run off Boot Camp if you won't be needing to switch back and forth constantly.

For the partition, at least 20 - 32+ GB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Personally for office apps like that I'd go with a Virtual Machine Like Parallels, VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox. They aren't emulators though. You will still need a copy of Windows to install in them, same as BootCamp.

When you run in a VM you'll be able to load and save docs from your OSX folders so you won't need to partition at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Since the only requirements you mention are running Office for Windows, I'd suggest you buy a PC with Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
The OP wants to run Windows Apps, as _well_ as the Mac Software. Therefor the answer is _not_ to go to a PC, as he or she, is obviously wanting to use a Mac which makes perfect sense.

Reaction score
There is something new called WineBottler that's free allows exes to run on Macs, I believe. Check that out.

Personally, I use OpenOffice. It's open source, freeware, pretty much a free Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel), for Mac.

Cheers

Reaction score
get familiar with the mac version of office..it is exactly the same once you get used to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The OP wants to run Windows Apps, as _well_ as the Mac Software. Therefor the answer is _not_ to go to a PC, as he or she, is obviously wanting to use a Mac which makes perfect sense.

Actually, the OP said nothing whatsoever about running any Mac software. He may indeed want to use a Mac, but he gave no explanation of

1. Why he wants a Mac
2. What he wants to use his Mac for
3. How he envisions alternating between using the Mac and Windows apps (which were the only thing he did mention.)

So really, the only logical conclusion is that he does not need a Mac at all, and probably should not get one. Unless he is willing to give us more information on why he thinks a Mac would be appropriate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X, Version 10.6.8 2.66GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 27"
I use Microsoft Office 2008 for mac.

If you decide to use this application, you will need to customise your toolbar to give the look and feel as the Windows version.

When I first installed the program it looked "bare"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
Actually, the OP said nothing whatsoever about running any Mac software. He may indeed want to use a Mac, but he gave no explanation of

1. Why he wants a Mac
2. What he wants to use his Mac for
3. How he envisions alternating between using the Mac and Windows apps (which were the only thing he did mention.)

So really, the only logical conclusion is that he does not need a Mac at all, and probably should not get one. Unless he is willing to give us more information on why he thinks a Mac would be appropriate.
Sounds like the OP is quite intelligent. I doubt he needs this jibberish.
Cheers...:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
You might also consider Apple iWork 09. It has a program that is just like Excel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Sounds like the OP is quite intelligent. I doubt he needs this jibberish.
Cheers...:)

Just some unsolicited advice....I wouldnt call any thing that a member with as much time here and as much positive rep as technologist " jibberish" .There is a lot you can learn from these people but this wont help.
Now you are of course entitled to your opinion but ostracizing yourself with comments like these will not improve your standing nor will it influence people to help when you need it .

Take it or leave it....just my opinion

Clay

M

MacInWin

@gizzzo, at the risk of actually getting back to your original post, is there some feature of Excel that you particularly need, or is it the look and feel that you prefer? I would say that you should look at OpenOffice (it's free), it comes in Windows and OSX versions and if it has your functions, it might do you very well. Once you try it, then you can make your own choice. OO works on the OSX system, and there is an OSX-specific version called NeoOffice, also free, but that one doesn't have a Windows version.

For me, when I switched about a year ago, I thought I would need Windows more than I ended up. I got VMWare and am now down to one application that needs Windows and that vendor is working on an OSX version now. Once it arrives, Windows is done, for me anyway! Your experience may be the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD
Reaction score
I have recently switched to a Macbook Pro after being with windows since its beginning.
my chosen solution to running some windows apps has been to load parallels which took a few minutes then loaded Windows 7.

I can switch seamlessly from mac to windows apps and access files on the HD without any problems.

good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.