New Switcher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Unibody Macbook | 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo | 160GB Intel X25-M | 4GB DDR3
I finally gave into that money burning a hole in my pocket and bought a Macbook (on sale without a rebate for $799). Here's to learning a new OS and, more importantly, learning new programming languages. After getting used to it, I'll be installing Win7 with Bootcamp so I still have access to Visual Studio.

So far, running all the updates has been about the same - but that's expected. I am looking at an SSD, memory upgrade to 4GB, a travel case and Speck satin case for it. I'll probably stick with an OCZ or Intel for the SSD.

Thought I would stop in and say hello

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
!Hola...welcome to mac-forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Howdy! Don't forget your other responsibilities... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Glad you made it here! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Welcome and enjoy . you didnt mention that new ex-hdd that you are using to back-up that new machine of yours......

Clay

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys

Well, I splurged and got the memory and a shiny new Intel X25-M 160GB SSD - and I still up installing Win7 =)

I will be backing up the machine using a WHS so I'll probably use the script described here: Update: Time Machine Backup to Windows Home Server

I'm still looking at covers, but it looks like the Speck Satin covers haven't come out yet, so I'll probably just wait for them.

So far, so good - just learning how to navigate and use the mouse is way different. I'm so used to the right click and CTRL-right click and the keyboard placement for keys is off too.

Reaction score
So far, so good - just learning how to navigate and use the mouse is way different. I'm so used to the right click and CTRL-right click and the keyboard placement for keys is off too.

you can use your old usb mouse if you want to retain the right click.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Have you tried using mouse gestures for Right Click? Two finger Tap can do right click. Might be easier for you then the CTRL-Click.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@droflex - I am still working out the bugs on using a Microsoft Bluetooth 5000 in win 7 (it works great in OS-X

@dtravix7 - I am still getting used to the gestures, I am trying to stick with the pad, but it's just taking time. After being at a computer for close to 8 hours a day for the last 10 years, it's a tough transition =)

Reaction score
@dtravix7 - I am still getting used to the gestures, I am trying to stick with the pad, but it's just taking time. After being at a computer for close to 8 hours a day for the last 10 years, it's a tough transition =)

Go ahead and use your mouse alongside your trackpad. You'll begin to naturally gravitate towards one or the other for specific tasks and the issue will sort itself out. I'm finding I like the mouse for programming/writing but the trackpad, once I adapted to it, is really great for most everything else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.