Audio Input Problem - new Mac Pro

Reaction score
New Mac Pro Dual Quad-Core. Can't use Audio Input from ANY source. All three devices show up on Sys Pref Audio, Built-in, Line-in & Digital-in. With nothing connected, Built-in shows no audio level signal. Same for Line-in with a earphone/mic 2-plug wire. Audio out works fine. I have an external Bose System w/Sub-woofer, jacks for earphones & Mic, but only one wire to connect to tower Audio-Out. Output for earphone or Bose jack earphone or speakers work fine.
Still under warranty so I can take it in, but if anyone has a suggestion I'd like to hear it.

Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
The Line-in is different from a normal Mic-in ... there are are different power specifications, some ordinary Microphones will work, some won't

have a look at this post:
Apple - Support - Discussions - Line In sound device not found ...

from an older post here on Mac-Forums:
"This is the problem with your mic: The cheap computer mic is usually an electret type. This means that here is a field effect transistor inside the mic that requires a power supply. PC's that have a mic input have a supply voltage to feed the transistor but the Mac does not have a mic input, only a line in which means there is no supply voltage. This can be arranged externally if you know how. You could try a dynamic mic which does not need a supply but audio outputs from dynamic mics is very low and will probably not work.

Regards

Henry.
"

OP
G
Reaction score
1. I'm plugged into the analog line-in port.
2. The built-in mic doesn't work either.
3. The ear/mic works fine on MacPro laptop, for both audio in & out.
4. The ear/mic works fine on MacBook Pro laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
In that case try running Audio MIDI Setup and Sound preferences to see if your volume isn't just off or you have the correct device selected ... if you haven't already :-/

and I don't believe the Mac Pro has a build in mic, does it?

hopefully some1 else will be more useful than I am :D

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks; ran Audio Midi. No luck... Still, that's a lovely, lovely bird you fly!...
Keep Soaring.. and good luck...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Still, that's a lovely, lovely bird you fly!...
Keep Soaring.. and good luck...

tnx :) had a few crashes since that shot was taken, but it still flies :D you into rc gliders too?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.