Wireless modem disconnect problems

Reaction score
I have a 2 3/4 year old iMac desktop running 10.4.11 on a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I live in a rural area and there is no DSL or cable access available. A couple of months ago I got Verizon's wireless USB modem which connects to their G3 network. My life got a whole lot better without dialup.

Recently I've intermittently had problems when I'm on line using the wireless modem. I will inexplicably get a message that says "WWAN Unplug Notice: The WWAN Device has been unplugged while still active. This can result in a loss of data." This disconnects my internet connection. This message is almost immediately followed by "Device Removal. The device you removed was not properly put away...." (I had seen the 2nd one before because sometimes I forget to eject connected devices.)

In no case did I unplug the WWAN Device. I've checked and double checked and the modem is always fully plugged into the USB port. I've tried it with all the USB ports but it still occurred. I can normally get back on line, but when this problem is occurring, I can't keep the connection for more than 5 minutes before it happens again.

I called the local Mac dealer's tech support and the answer (without looking at the computer) was likely a failing logic board which controls the bus (and other things, I guess.) The part is $625 (plus labor.) I also have another unrelated issue - but one I can live with - which I asked him about and that requires a new display for $500 plus labor. I don't have Apple Care.

With the price of the 2 repairs more than the cost of a new computer, I went out and bought a new Mac last Friday. (I haven't taken it out of the box yet.) Well guess what? The original Mac is running just perfectly now. Haven't had the problem I described above since Thursday night and have spent a lot of time on-line. So I'm tempted to return the new one until I really have to replace it. But I don't know if the problems will start again as soon as I return it.

Has anyone else had this particular problem and, if so, did you ever figure out what caused it and whether it's permanent or not?

Thanks in advance.

Friar1610 (new to this forum)

Reaction score

As a suggestion, use google search and look for historical posts that have same problem as your exact setup. For example, exact modem model with your exact Mac model. Or, your wireless modem model with your Mac's OS version.

For example..... Use Google search ( http://www.google.ca/ ) with text string of "Mac 2Wire problems" (for Mac 2-wire wired modem problems) - which will create search string of:

mac 2wire problems - Google Search

Perhaps the solution is within one of these historical posts????

Hope this suggestion helps...

OP
F
Reaction score

As a suggestion, use google search and look for historical posts that have same problem as your exact setup. For example, exact modem model with your exact Mac model. Or, your wireless modem model with your Mac's OS version.

For example..... Use Google search ( Google ) with text string of "Mac 2Wire problems" (for Mac 2-wire wired modem problems) - which will create search string of:

mac 2wire problems - Google Search

Perhaps the solution is within one of these historical posts????

Hope this suggestion helps...

Actually, I had done that before posting here. Not finding any answers, I thought I'd try this site.

friar1610

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.