Question?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 500GB 3.06 Intel
Hey everyone. Im new here but this seemed like the righ sort of place to ask this. I am currently using a PC but I am looking to buy one of the new 21.5" iMacs.
However, I have seen and heard of a lot of people having trouble with the new iMacs, with things like yellow screens, flickering, dead pixels, noisy HDD's etc and I was just wondering if anyone on here had encountered any of these problems with their new mac and were they resolved? I am very excited about getting one but dont want to be faced with dissapointment :Confused:
Also which model would I be better buying the 21.5" with 1TB harddrive and the ATI graphics card or the 500GBharddrive with NVIDIA graphics. Thanks in advanced for any comments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Apple sold some 10 million macs in 09 and even if they have an excellent Production Quality Control, there is still a chance of a unit with a problem. While 12 month warranty is the safety net it is a pain having to sort the issue. You pays your money and takes your chance. Remember you see postings about problems generally not all the millions that operate as intended.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch
I bought a 21.5" three days after they were released and mine has no problems at all. I think most of the problems are with the 27" models.

If money isn't a problem than go for the ATI and 1TB model. I have the base 21.5" (500 GB HD and NVIDIA) and I only wish it had better graphics. hard drive size size is always expandable with external hard drives.

OP
Lewis.C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, yeah I can get enough money for basically any model but I dont need 27" and i doubt that my desk is big enough for it lol. Would you say that the NVIDIA graphics are good? I suppose there isnt that much of a price difference between them. Overall how would you rate the base model mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch
Well the NVIDIA graphics aren't bad, I think it's just the one thing that could be a little bit better in the base model when I think about it. I would still rate this model 10/10! I do a lot of video editing and I can run photoshop and final cut express at the same time without a problem. I've also noticed with models with better graphics that things like stacks and expose animations are smoother. (if you've never seen these, here's expose YouTube - Expose Basics)

OP
Lewis.C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmmm yeah I would ideally like it to look as good as possible as I dont plan on buying another computer for at least 3 years. I get a student discount and so the 21.5 with the ATI graphics is only £1,151.10 which is only around £240 more than the base model. But just to make sure, you think that the base model is still pretty amazing?

OP
Lewis.C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, here's where I am now, thanks to your knowledge I feel confident enough to buy a 21.5" but im not sure if I want the ATI graphics or the base model NVIDIA, i would have to wait an extra month if I wanted the ATI graphics and Im curious if there is any real majour difference in dispaly. I am going to be using the iMac for school, video editing, internet, email etc. Does the imac still look as stunning as people claim even with the NVIDIA graphics? cheers for any help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.