Black aluminum MacBook

Reaction score
Hello...

I have VIP at the office who really REALLY wants a black aluminum MacBook. Is there any aftermarket or custom refurb place that can do that for us? (My google-foo is weak on this one.)

PS - a skin or a case is probably not going to work for him.

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ummm rag, gloves, and some black anodising Dye ...
LINKY to the DIY way of doing it ... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Hope it's a VVIP... as the $$$$$$$ you will pay someone to do this will be insane :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I for one like the term " google-foo "and plan to use it as often as I can ! ;D
And that is really all I have to add here.

Clay

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Oh right, forgot about ColorWare. That's a great source and isn't prohibitively expensive.

I guess it depends on what you consider "prohibitively expensive"; but I agree, $499 is a fair price for the remarkable color finishes they offer.

It kind of makes me laugh a bit, because I can remember when you could have your auto painted for less than $499! Remember those advertisements by Earl Shibe? :D

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
You might consider getting the person a black Speck case for the MBP... In addition to making the slippery little devils easier to hold it also gives them a black appearance for a much more discrete look. No it wont hide the aluminum around the keyboard when its open but it does lower the light level of the stupid glowing apple logo (or if you slide a bit of heavy construction paper on it before you snap the case on it completely eliminates the narcissistic beacon).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP UNI C2D 2.53 4gb
You might consider getting the person a black Speck case for the MBP... In addition to making the slippery little devils easier to hold it also gives them a black appearance for a much more discrete look. No it wont hide the aluminum around the keyboard when its open but it does lower the light level of the stupid glowing apple logo (or if you slide a bit of heavy construction paper on it before you snap the case on it completely eliminates the narcissistic beacon).

Original post- "PS - a skin or a case is probably not going to work for him."

Reaction score
With ColorWare, won't you end up with a shiny finish? It won't look like black aluminum. It seems like a lot of money for a paint job that you can't remove and won't look much better than a nice-fitting case. And the Speck SeeThru Black Satin does look pretty sharp.
I think the VIP is just going to have to accept the fact that no one makes a black aluminum unibody.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.