Transferring items between two macbooks.

Reaction score
I currently have a macbook but am looking to upgrade to a newer model.

Because the purchase will be done via trading in my own machine for a discount I do not have the option of having both macs at the same time so that rules out a few options.

I can sort out documents and music files and photos by putting them onto a hard drive so that is easy enough and all my applications can be reinstalled.

However how can I transfer the contents of iPhoto (to include the dates like in events) ?
How can I transfer the contents of iCal, Mail (to keep emails) and address book?
How can I transfer the contents of itunes (to keep iPhone apps, purchased music, album art and music library) ?
How can I transfer the contents of photoboot.

I found this and similar for itunes on the apple support site. By going through these backup steps will I have enough to transfer all the above information?

file:///Users/miriamwalsh/Desktop/How%20to%20back%20up%20and%20restore%20your%20important%20Mac%20OS%20X%2010.4%20files.webarchive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
In that scene i would make a bootable back up with Superduper then when i had new Macbook, connect it by firewire and boot off the Ext HD - by holding Option key after power on - and restore to the new MacBook - it will do it with USB i understand but more slowly.
Then you can continue to use Superduper for regular backups for future 'insurance'

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you I already back up everything else and use time machine. Will look into superduper the macbook doesn't have firewire but if usb works it could be an option.

Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Use SuperDuper to make a clone of the drive, including operating system. Time Machine does not do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.