Restart/Login problem

Reaction score
Hello, all -

I'm VERY new to mac/leopard and am having some trouble logging in. My brother and I share an iMac and both have user accounts. The computer was left idle while he was logged in and now every time it wakes up or powers on it asks for his password. He's not available during the week so I can't have him log in and then back out. Is there any way I can get back to the user selection to select my account and log in? I do know he didn't have anything running when it went to sleep so we're not at risk of losing any data.

I've tried restarting with different combinations of ctrl/cmd/option pressed and, of course, by just holding the power button but everything brings me back to a login window populated with his username and will only accept his password.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. When posting always a good idea to state version of OS as there are variations. Hope u have set up both Users as Admin Users and you need to get into Sys Prefs/Accounts/Login Options to enable 'Fast User Switching' and choose how you want that to show up. Keep in mind that User log out is in the Apple drop down menu which might be enuff to get out of his User area, but if password on wake is enabled your only quick fix is to force shutdown by holding powerbutton for 5 secs then do a reboot, but i see u have already done that so u may have to wait for him then set it up correctly as above.

OP
A
Reaction score
Collin -

Thanks. I was afraid someone would say that... I see Apple's security intentions in this scenario and will probably just wait for him to come in this weekend.

The machine was purchased about two months ago and I believe is running Snow Leopard 10.6. Not sure about the specific number.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Of course there is a way around this, but it depends greatly how well you get on with your brother. To a degree he set the problem for you by leaving it locked in his user area so it may be a valuable lesson for you both if you boot off the install disk and once you get past the language selection look in Utilities drop down for change password then just change his password so you can go into his area and first set up Log in Options as above, then log out of his and into yours. Let him know that he needs to do another password and sort his top secret stuff.
Then if you both have top secret docs it may be better to just password protect them individually or as a group by using Disk Utility in Applications > Utilities

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.