Best notebook for $600

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook 2.4 C2D/2gb/250 hd
I am looking at used macbooks, what should I expect to get for $600? Anything I should lookout for and avoid?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
For around $600...look for the 1.83 or 2.0ghz MacBook...if you're lucky a 2.16ghz model. I would also add you may be able to get any of these for less than $600. I actually purchased a MacBook 2.0ghz back in August for $400. But this was a "crazy" good deal...and 5 months later you will still have a problem finding them for this price.

As far as what to look for...some of the older MacBooks suffered from case cracks...so look for cracks in the cases before buying.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook 2.4 C2D/2gb/250 hd
thanks for the info I found a Blackbook 2.4 w/ 2 gb ram and 250 gb hd for $600 I think I am going to jump on that, is there any reason not to go with this model?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
thanks for the info I found a Blackbook 2.4 w/ 2 gb ram and 250 gb hd for $600 I think I am going to jump on that, is there any reason not to go with this model?
That's a really good deal as long as the machine runs well.

Make sure to run checks on the machine and to make sure there are the original OS disks.

There shouldn't be any reason not to go with that model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
One thing to be aware of is that the poly macs have an issue with chipping plastic around the keyboard assembly ( when you open it up the flat plastic that surrounds the keyboard and mouse pad can get chips near the edges)... this doesn't impact the use of the computer just make it look bad...Also make sure you take a blank DVD with you and try to burn something before you buy it. The DVD drives can crap out and when they do they will often still read but wont write, so test the writing ability or you might end up having to buy a new DVD drive which isn't cheap and becomes even more expensive if you are too nervous to open the book yourself.

Also look for signs of liquid damage. You don't want to get a macbook that someone spilled stuff on and have managed to get it running just long enough to sell, or that was damaged and is still running (because it will quickly fail)... aside from the clear signs of damage make sure no keys or the the mouse button stick. If they when you are pressing them down they might feel a little sticky that would be a bad sign... or if when you press down the mouse button it makes a sound (like feet being stuck in a movie theater).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.