Illustrator CS: Opt + arrow won't duplicate a shape

Reaction score
This is driving me nuts... Up until using CS, I've always been able to consistently select anything in Illustrator (both text and shapes), hold down option, then press the up arrow and a duplicate object would be created. I like using this method because all I have to do is tap the down arrow again and I have a duplicate directly over the original.

However, I've noticed in CS every so often this technique won't work, although sometimes it does. Option + clicking + dragging still makes a duplicate, but I want to be able to do it with option+arrow. Anyone know why it would bar this option from me sometimes?

m19

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Hmm. I don't seem to have that problem. Duplicating shapes work fine for me, but as for text, make sure you convert the text into outlines. Other than that, I'm just as baffled as you are. :confused:

OP
M
Reaction score
Aggh! It just did it again... After I finished posting I went back to the logo designs I was working on. Initially it wouldn't let me option+arrow to dup a shape, thus why I decided to finally post this in the first place. After doing some more work for maybe 10-15 minutes, I was going back to the SAME shape and it let me option+arrow dup it! There HAS to be a setting or some quality of the shape it isn't liking.

*sigh* This is going to be the death of me, I just know it.

m19

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This may have nothing to do with your problem, but try deleting Illustrator's prefs.

Go to: User/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator CS Settings

Then delete the Adobe Illustrator Prefs file.

OP
M
Reaction score
Nope, believe me I've tried that solution in the past to no avail. (If it were just settings, also, I don't think being able to option+arrow or not would change within the same document or even the same shape, without ever restarting. You know?)

m19

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure. I've never experienced the problem once, so it's hard to say what the problem is. Maybe, you better go to some sort of Adobe support forum, because you're bound to find someone, who has had the some troubles as you. I'm running into dead ends try to figure out your little rascal of a problem. :eek:neye:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.