Upgrading HDD

Reaction score
Hello :)
officially in a week or 2 i will be the proud new owner of a mac [my first ever] have a question about upgrading the HDD.
im gonna buy the base model 13" mbp, and have apple upgrade the 2g memory to a 4g
however ill be upgrading the HDD myself and was wondering a few things

1. i want a 500g HDD, but not sure which brand/type to buy and would like some personal opinions

2. i will be using the computer for LITE graphic arts/photography so should i go with a 7200 rpm or a 5400 rpm hdd [will the higher rpm noticable decrease battery life??]

3. before i install the HDD what should i do? [i.e. back up the computer on an external harddrive]

4. and after the HDD installation what should i do? [idk if their will be anything special to do or not]

hehe im trying to make sure i get everything right and ready before hand

thank you :D

-babyt

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Why not just get an external HDD?

C

chas_m

Hello :)
officially in a week or 2 i will be the proud new owner of a mac [my first ever] have a question about upgrading the HDD.
im gonna buy the base model 13" mbp, and have apple upgrade the 2g memory to a 4g
however ill be upgrading the HDD myself and was wondering a few things

1. i want a 500g HDD, but not sure which brand/type to buy and would like some personal opinions

Welcome and congrats!

I have been REALLY impressed with the Samsung drive I put into my BlackBook. This computer is on around 18 hours/day average, drive never slept. Steady, reliable, fast little performer.

2. i will be using the computer for LITE graphic arts/photography so should i go with a 7200 rpm or a 5400 rpm hdd [will the higher rpm noticable decrease battery life??]

No, a 5400 should be fine, and yes faster drives do decrease battery life slightly.

3. before i install the HDD what should i do? [i.e. back up the computer on an external harddrive]

That's pretty much it. Use Time Machine or a clone program, whichever you prefer. Install the new drive. Use your bootable backup or your system DVD to format the drive to Mac OS X Extended Journaled (yes you want journaled for a bootable drive), then restore from your backup by whichever method you like.

4. and after the HDD installation what should i do? [idk if their will be anything special to do or not]

DO run Software Update.
DO run Permissions repair from Disk Utility.
DON'T overthink this, it's all a bit time-consuming but easy.
DON'T install any anti-virus (et al) type programs. You're on a Mac now. You're safe. :)
DO have fun!

Enjoy!

OP
babyt
Reaction score
thanks for the reply
but could you go into detail with #3 a little better
im brand new to mac [cept having an iphone]

and i dont want to carry the external with me everywhere i go :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.