Mac Mini - Is it for me?

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a Mac Mini, one because I have a PC and would like to use my mouse and screen setup for my mac. Two, because I don't really have any more room for a Mac Pro, and also can't fork over a whole bunch more money.

I prefer a desktop, but can the Mac Mini handle well under a pretty tough load?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Guess that really depends on your definition of a tough load. Getting helpful answers here starts from being a bit more giving with info - what is the PC you are replacing and what do you want to do with the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
you can't compare the Mac Mini withe the Mac Pro just by how much space it takes up, they're on the two completely different ends of the Mac computer range

if you need the Mac Pro performance, then the Mini will hardly struggle, so please do as Collin suggested and provide more info

Reaction score

For the "average" home user who does surfing, email, music downloads / video downloads, does "average" word processing, spreadsheets, presentations and electronic photo editing and printing, I hear the Mac mini is a good tool. Under the average home user loads, it doesn't struggle at all. Especially when it contains 2+ megs of memory. For the average home user who has their own existing 22+" decent monitor, external USB keyboard and USB mouse and has their own exernal speakers, the Mini is a great machine. I hear its a simple "plug and play" ability. For me (and my general home user needs), the Mac mini would be a good choice.

But if one is looking for "all in one box" and much better screen and perhaps that "extra power" under the hood, then the iMac platform is better. Especailly the 27" screen and its more powerful i5 or i7 chips. And, it ability hold large size HDs and increase in memory. Which can make it last longer before being out-dated.

For my wife, she wants a future iMac 27" (mostly for its "all in one box" design). Since she is the bank, she makes the rules. We'll continue to save and get one in 11 months. They say that good things come to those who wait.... But if it came down to having a good tool for the average home user, the Mac mini is a good machine as well...

Hope this helps in your decision process....

Reaction score
bmwqg.

As another suggestion, surf YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and search for existing Mac mini and iMac movies. Search from first time setup, to usage, to reviews, to extra add-ons to advanced stuff. While watching their free videos (that is often created from the average user's perspective), listen for key words that apply to your computer needs situation as well. For example, "great for photo editing" or "great for email and surfing" Or, "great for watching downloaded videos". If you do these same functions and that person seems to be pleased with their Mac model (in the video), then you'll be pleased with that model as well.

Hope this idea helps as well...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.