The Mac We Really Need

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I'm posting this here because we don't have a General Mac Forum, and Switcher Hangout is the closest thing to it.

The recent intro of the iPad got me thinking. It falls short in a number of ways. So, why not describe exactly what I want? After all, maybe someone at Apple will actually read this and act on it. So, here it is Apple, my dream Mac:

It's netbook size, about 10 inches. Any smaller and it would be too hared to see and use. I want the screen area, and a full size keyboard.

It has a touch sensitive screen that folds all the way back so it can be used either in laptop configuration or as a pad.

Folded as a pad, it has all the touch sensitive functions as the iPad.

In laptop configuration it is a Macbook or Macbook Pro, with all the computing and graphics power, ports, devices, etc.

It includes a phone which operates either by keyboard or touch when in the laptop or pad configuration, or by bluetooth headset while the lid is closed and the computer is asleep or off.

It has all the latest tech in it like motion sensor, gps, high res still/video camera, n wifi, 4G, and USB3.

It is sold "open" so that owners can choose their own cell carrier for the phone/internet service.

OK, Apple, I know you guys could do this if you wanted to. I'd be willing to pay a nice price for such a good piece of hardware. I know that millions of others would too. So how about it? Why don't you give us what we want?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
So long as we're wishing for totally impractical, I'd like a Mac that bakes cookies for me, runs on solar power, and costs less than a dollar.

I know they could do this if they wanted to, because Apple isn't subject to the laws of thermodynamics or economics, right? They're Apple!

OP
VegasGeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
So long as we're wishing for totally impractical, I'd like a Mac that bakes cookies for me, runs on solar power, and costs less than a dollar.

I know they could do this if they wanted to, because Apple isn't subject to the laws of thermodynamics or economics, right? They're Apple!

Hey, that's not true at all. I didn't mention any technology that isn't already available in other units, with the exception of USB3 which isn't quite out yet. The problem is that Apple, and the others simply won't put it all together in one machine. I think its greed. They want us to have to buy and carry multiple gadgets; a phone, a computer, an iPad, an iPod, etc. There is no technical or other reason the functions couldn't be combined in one unit.

I defy you to cite just one valid technical reason that would prevent the production of a unit such as I described.

Reaction score
Because we like our gadgets. The more the better, especially if they have lots oflights on them. That's a valid reason.

OP
VegasGeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Because we like our gadgets. The more the better, especially if they have lots oflights on them. That's a valid reason.

Well, OK, that I accept. We do like our gadgets! :)

C

chas_m

Hey, that's not true at all. I didn't mention any technology that isn't already available in other units, with the exception of USB3 which isn't quite out yet. The problem is that Apple, and the others simply won't put it all together in one machine.

Yes, they're all in on the conspiracy to deprive you of this device. :)

But seriously, the reason such a thing isn't out is the same reason we may now never see Microsoft's Courier: because something like that would cost WAY more than a laptop, and consequently nobody would buy it.

Let's look at this device of yours again:

It's netbook size, about 10 inches. I want the screen area, and a full size keyboard.

A full size-keyboard is longer than 10 inches. It's 11 inches (on a laptop) and 17 inches once you add in the number pad. So that's never going to work. You have, at best, a very long tablet there -- that plus the other stuff you want is going to add VERY significantly to the weight as well.

It has a touch sensitive screen that folds all the way back so it can be used either in laptop configuration or as a pad.

The screen itself CANNOT fold, I presume you mean a hinge. Yeah, that'll never lose its tension ...

Folded as a pad, it has all the touch sensitive functions as the iPad.

In laptop configuration it is a Macbook or Macbook Pro, with all the computing and graphics power, ports, devices, etc.

So what you want is a Axiotron ModBook. Check out the price and weight though. And whether its been a hit.

It has all the latest tech in it like motion sensor, gps, high res still/video camera, n wifi, 4G, and USB3.

Cuz none of that stuff adds to the cost ...

It is sold "open" so that owners can choose their own cell carrier for the phone/internet service.

On this specific point, it should be noted that the iPad is in fact "unlocked" -- there is NOTHING stopping other carriers from offering Micro-SIMs and their own paygo 3G data plans.

I know that millions of others would too.

This is right up there with "the cheque is in the mail." Cite your research, please?

So how about it? Why don't you give us what I want?

There, fixed that for you. :)

If you can show research that shows a really large (seriously, huge) market for such a device, and how to build it at an iPad-like price, it would be pretty easy to talk Apple into it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I just want an official Tablet PC from Mac.

OP
VegasGeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I guess my motivation here (and it's a BIG one) is that Apple didn't include a phone in the iPad. So if I want to be fully connected I have to carry a phone and and an iPad, or a phone and a laptop with me. I need 3G service for both. That's a whole lot of unnecessary expense, both for equipment and service. And, that's a whole lot more (twice as much) to lug around with me. So much of it is redundant.

A minor gripe is that the iPad lacks many of the features of a full fledged Macbook, but I could live with that.

C

chas_m

I guess my motivation here (and it's a BIG one) is that Apple didn't include a phone in the iPad. So if I want to be fully connected I have to carry a phone and and an iPad, or a phone and a laptop with me.

Yes. But you're already carrying two heavier devices right now if you want to be "fully connected."

Chances are QUITE high that someone like Skype is going to plug the "perceived" gap in the iPads inability to be a phone, so I don't think this is as big a deal as people make out. My TV isn't a phone either, making me actually go into *another room* to answer it! How inconvenient! What the heck is wrong with those TV makers?! ;)

I need 3G service for both.

a. No, you don't "need" 3G for both. You *need* Wifi for the iPad. You only "need" 3G for the iPad if you're trying to make it replace your iPhone.

b. The iPad has a USB port option, you can plug your "go stick" into that.

c. I've not seen anything that says that if you have a 3G plan for your phone it would be impossible to use it with the iPad.

And, that's a whole lot more (twice as much) to lug around with me.

And yet you are already -- right now -- lugging MORE than that around. To be "connected" as you describe, you MUST presently be carrying around a full-blown laptop AND a smartphone.

A minor gripe is that the iPad lacks many of the features of a full fledged Macbook, but I could live with that.

It is not intended, in any meaningful way, to replace a laptop. This is the thing people seem to have a mental block about.

It is intended to redefine what a full-blown laptop is to be used for. This new class of device is going to change what you DO with a computer, and what you now no longer need "a full-blown computer" to do.

In much the same way laptops changed what we used desktops for, and smartphones changed what we used laptops for.

You might find these two essays able to move you into a new way of looking at this:
http://www.macworld.com/article/146038/2010/01/ipad_future_shock.html
http://stevenf.tumblr.com/post/359224392/i-need-to-talk-to-you-about-computers-ive-been

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
netbooks don't do anything well, why would apple want to make one?

I think the 2nd gen iPad will be GREAT, I have a MBP a 3GS and an iMac and I can't see myself buying the iPad let alone a silly netbook.

Let's let apple's R&D team do their thing, you stick to vegasgeorging, k?

;)

PS you would look rather silly holding the iPad up to your face to make calls....or equally silly with a bluetooth headset everywhere you go...unless you are robocop or a car salesman - phones are supposed to get MORE portable as tech progresses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I defy you to cite just one valid technical reason that would prevent the production of a unit such as I described.
Sorry, but you just asked for "all the computing and graphics power" in a "netbook size" machine.

Even with infinite funds, that technology just does not exist. Netbooks use low-power CPUs that are far slower than the slowest MacBook Air. Putting a MacBook Air's CPU into a 10-inch-screen laptop would make it about two inches thick with all the space that the cooling and battery would require. With all the ports and graphics you're talking about, it would probably be at least three inches thick, and would still probably have pretty lousy battery life and be hot to the touch.

So, if you were asking for a laptop the shape of a Kleenex box....

Reaction score
as someone very new to apple and their products, I get the very distinct feeling that it will be avery cold day before apple allows for 'open' anything. I get the every distinct feeling that even though you buy media from itunes, it is really apple that owns it.

The ipad is going to be great for folks who need an entertainment centre, but for me, my needs are geared around productivity.

Engineering the 'perfect' apple computer won't happen because of 2 main reasons.
1. apple want to give you what they want *you* to have, not what you *want* to have
2. Steve Wozniak no longer designs computers for apple.

C

chas_m

as someone very new to apple and their products, I get the very distinct feeling that it will be avery cold day before apple allows for 'open' anything.

What an odd thing to say. Just a few examples:
a. OS X itself is built on UNIX. It doesn't get any more open than that
b. AAC is an open standard
c. Webkit is an open standard

There are literally hundreds more examples of places where Apple has not only used "open source" stuff but contributed BACK to the community. They may not be as "open" as Linux, but they are WAY more "open" than Microsoft.

I get the every distinct feeling that even though you buy media from itunes, it is really apple that owns it.
This is why "feelings" should not be substituted for "facts." The fact of the matter is that this isn't true.

Reaction score
What an odd thing to say. Just a few examples:
a. OS X itself is built on UNIX. It doesn't get any more open than that
b. AAC is an open standard
c. Webkit is an open standard

There are literally hundreds more examples of places where Apple has not only used "open source" stuff but contributed BACK to the community. They may not be as "open" as Linux, but they are WAY more "open" than Microsoft.

This is why "feelings" should not be substituted for "facts." The fact of the matter is that this isn't true.

perhaps you could advise me in the future how i can donate my ebook that i might buy for an ipad from ibook store to a library or perhaps loan it to a friend once I have finished reading it..or loan a friend a movie i purchase from itunes?

so what if the OS is written on unix? that dosn't mean a darn thing except that it's written on unix!

itunes is designed for you NOT to transfer your content to anyone except YOU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I share iTunes music all the time! I burn CD's and everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.