Best software to use for windows programs

Reaction score
I am in the process of figuring out how to replace my computer in my office to a Mac. We are on a windows server and all we have are PC's in the office. I want to switch to a Mac but i have a few programs i use that are windows only (some accounting programs and a CAD drawing program). I have heard about some programs such as Parallels and VMware Fusion. What is the best program to use? I usually open the programs i need in the morning and their open the rest of the day until i go home. If i get an entry lvl iMac i want to make sure it runs well and i dont overload it. Are there any other programs i dont know about? Can i download any for free that will work? or do they all have a cost? Any info would be great.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I am partial to parallels. However if your stuck running windows software why not just run a Windows PC. You may also need to ensure that your company is ok with your switching to a Mac.

OP
K
Reaction score
I am partial to parallels. However if your stuck running windows software why not just run a Windows PC. You may also need to ensure that your company is ok with your switching to a Mac.

Were in a small company and im an owner so i can switch no problem unless there is a technical problem for not doing so. I love my Mac at home, and i cant stand using my office PC because it is slow, freezes up, and just overall ****** me off. I just like using Macs so much i want to use one at work also if i can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
you said you use a CAD drawing program, so is that the primary use of the computer? I'm not sure if an entry level imac would be enough to run CAD applications in a virtual system, you'd need to upgrade your RAM at least

but of course it depends on how much performance you actually need

OP
K
Reaction score
Well its not the main use of the computer but i do use it every few days. The main use of this computer is day to day operations which typically are e-mailing, internet use, word and excel docs, and some windows only accounting software and the CAD drawing when needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If your software is compatible with Crossover, then you can use that and bypass the need for Windows entirely. Search their compatibility database for the titles you use. Some things work great, some not so great, many not at all. It's a great solution if it does fit your needs.
Compatibility - Browse Apps by Name - CodeWeavers

Barring that, you can try out Parallels or VMWare Fusion to see how well your software runs under a virtual machine. This is a fine solution for all but the more demanding, graphically-intensive applications. Here's a comparison of their features:
Comparison of VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reaction score
There is also a free program called Bootcamp that comes with the Mac. The drawback is that you can't run Windows and the Mac at the same time as you can with the other paid programs.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is also a free program called Bootcamp that comes with the Mac. The drawback is that you can't run Windows and the Mac at the same time as you can with the other paid programs.

Yes but Windows will run at full speed also just like it does on a PC. You either boot in OSX or Windows. With either Bootcamp or a VM like Parallels or VMWare you need a copy of Windows also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.