iWeb

Reaction score
Hi,
BRAND NEW to this type of forum as I am a recent convert to Mac (for only about two days right now!). So, at the outset, I apologize if this is in the wrong spot...promise to do better in the future.

I have used iWeb to create a new website for my school and try as I might, I cannot get it to show up on the web. It publishes alright, but it just doesn't show up properly.

If you go to Index of /, you can see the directory listing there - but not the actual site as it is supposed to look.

When I had it created and "published" it said that it was successfully published and was located at :

www.beachycove.ca/Beachy_Cove_Elementary

Of course, it should be simply located at Index of /.

What have I done or what do I need to do to the directory structure at ftp.beachycove.ca?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aubrey

OP
A
Reaction score
The web site is www dot beachycove dot ca - not sure why it didn't show up in the original post.

Aubrey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20" 2.66 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 gb ram Snow Leopard
I think that Index of / should have an index.html landing page to start everything. I don't see it. Either Iweb didn't generate correctly (doubt it) or it didn't upload correctly.

You should try publishing it to a folder on your computer and see if it works.

OP
A
Reaction score
And so it continues... :(

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I have published it to folder on my mac and it works perfectly fine there. All the links and functions seem to work ok - in the folder.

Publishing it to ftp.beachycove.ca indicates it is successful except it says that it is located at :

www dot beachycove dot ca /Beachy_Cove_Elementary

If you go to www dot beachycove dot ca you can see the directory structure there.

Scratching my head still...

Aubrey

C

chas_m

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I have published it to folder on my mac and it works perfectly fine there. All the links and functions seem to work ok - in the folder.

Publishing it to ftp.beachycove.ca indicates it is successful except it says that it is located at :

www dot beachycove dot ca /Beachy_Cove_Elementary

If you go to www dot beachycove dot ca you can see the directory structure there.

Scratching my head still...

Aubrey

If the "publish to folder" works fine ... why not just upload the folder using an FTP program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aubrey,
You say this is a new site for your school however if you google beachycove I get some hits on sites that look like they've been around awhile. Are you sure you haven't used a pre-existing web address and are wiping out some one else's site when you up load yours?
btw I did get to your welcome page once this morning but now I can't.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi nfcarrier,
Yeah...it's a new site in the sense that I wiped out the old one that I had created and made a totally new one using iWeb on my new mac. The old site had been around for a while in a couple of versions.

It appears to be working fine right now with just a couple of little "issues" which I would like to resolve.

So, I created the page on iWeb and publish to a folder on my mac and it works fine - I do this to see how it looks and all seems well.

I then go and change the publishing thing to put in on our website, the root of which is "beachycove.ca/". It takes the whole folder (called "Beachy_Cove_Elementary" with the underscores between each word) and uploads and results in a directory structure which looks like this:

Root: beachycove.ca
and...within this root folder is the file folder "Beachy_Cove_Elementary" which contains all of the files for the site.

So...now, when you type "www.beachycove.ca" (www dot beachycove dot ca - just in case this doesn't show up here properly), the following comes up in the location bar on the web browser:

www.beachycove.ca/Beachy_Cove_Elementary/welcome.html (again, just in case it doesn't show up here properly, it reads www dot beachycove dot ca slash Beachy underscore Cove underscore Elementary slash welcome dot html) which doesn't look right.

How can I efficiently dump all of the files from this folder into the root directory?

Long winded I know...but it's as simple as I can make it.

Thanks for your help.

Aubrey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You must be working on as I'm looking at it because things work then don't work.
I think you have over "Beachy Cove'd" your file structure.

With Iweb I create my site for example into /user/name/webpage directory.
Iweb puts all my files into webpage directory
Then ftp all the files IN that directory up to your site, NOT WEBPAGE DIRECTORY ITSELF.
Hope this didn't confuse you too much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Re-reading your post, your problem might be the Iweb upload function,which I've never used. You might want to just use a ftp program or the firefox ftp tool.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks

I think I'm reasonably happy with the way it is now....I was hoping to make it as easy as possible without having to do ftp. I know ftp is easy...but was running into difficulty when I made changes to say only one of the pages - I wasn't sure which pages had to be ftp'd because I think there would be more than one file associated with the page. iWeb is still brand new to me - not doing too badly I guess since I have the functional site on the web.:Smirk:

Thanks,
Aubrey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've played with Iweb to see how it works but kind of disappointed in it's flexibility. You can't use it to work on existing sites so I keep hacking away with source code for now.

OP
A
Reaction score
Site?

What's your website? Let me take a look at your expertise....mine is very low level - just the basics for now.

Thanks for your patience in helping me out.

Aubrey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.