Problems connecting to internet

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a white macbook running on Mac OS X 10.4
I purchased the laptop in 2006 and haven't had any problems until now.
Currently my computer is showing that my internet connection is strong (full bars) but when I attempt to open a window it says that there is an error on the page because I'm not connected to the internet. So I can't connect wirelessly to the internet at my house but everyone else (5 people using macs and pcs can connect just fine. When I take my computer to an area of high connectivity i.e. the library or the mac store, the internet works perfectly fine.

When this happened originally I just switched to using an Ethernet cable at home and had no problems. Recently I have been getting the same error message saying that I'm not connected to the internet when I am plugged into the Ethernet. I have tried using multiple cords and jacks and nothing seems to work.

I need to connect to the internet one way or another. Please help.

Also if you can explain things in the most basic language possible that would be great because I'm not a technically inclined!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Do a search for the DNS numbers for your ISP and add them here. Also try setting up a location for home like this and see if that helps.

NB: this is showing signal strength not necessarily internet connection;

Click for full size

Reaction score
I have tried using multiple jacks and nothing seems to work.

LOL :D

What you need is a wireless router. I recommend Netgear, it will cost you $40. Take the Ethernet cable, put one end in the host and the other end in the router. Your MacBook should pick up the signal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.