Buying a book, opinions please

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm currently a PC user and my last laptop just died. I've decided to switch to Mac and am going to pick up a book today. Either 'switching to mac' or 'macbook for dummies'. Assuming I can find both at the local chapters store, which would be better?(if anyone has read both)

Probably heading out in an hour to see what they've got in stock....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
to be honest I wouldn't get either, just use the computer and you probably will be able to work out what you need and/or find it online ...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you want one book, grab David Pogue's 'The Missing Manual'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
I have two of David's books I'm considering and wish to buy just one:
1) Switching to the Mac: Snow Leopard
2) The Missing Manual Snow Leopard
For a switcher, which one do you suggest please.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz iMac / MBP 2.26GHz / Nano
I switched to the Mac a year ago. I have been using Pogue's 'Missing Manual: Mac OS X Leopard' book. I looked at the Switching to Mac book, but chose this one. I've been able to hit the road running with my switch. The Snow Leopard version is his latest, of course. I upgraded to Snow Leopard, but didn't need the manual by that time.

Reaction score
These days there's no point in buying computer books. For 99% of your problems you can type your question into Google (verbatim) and you'll be able to find the answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
These days there's no point in buying computer books. For 99% of your problems you can type your question into Google (verbatim) and you'll be able to find the answer.

While its true that one can find anything online. There are many of us that enjoy a break from reading on the computer. Also its nice to sit out in the sun, here in California, and read a book while enjoying a beverage poolside. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
I went out and picked up the Switching to Mac, Snow Leopard book. I haven't picked up my MBP yet, waiting for the rumored update coming soon. In the meantime I figure reading this book along with surfing the internet will have me well prepared for a smooth transition.

C

chas_m

Unless your problem centers around your inability to get online ... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.