saving files to an airport extreme hard drive?

Reaction score
I have a western digital (WD) hard drive connected to the usb on my airport extreme. I have a mac book and a mac pro on the network and both computers see the WD drive no problem in Finder - which is good.

I want to create a file on one of the computers and save it to the WD - I can't see the drive in the "where" dialog in the save as section. I can only save to my hard drive locations so I am forced to save it to somewhere on my computer, the desktop, for example and then drag it over to the WD in Finder. Any way to have the WD show up in the "where" section of any programs' save as so I can save directly to it?

thanks.

Reaction score
I have the exact same question - I have a Seagate 750GB drive in a Rosewill enclosure plugged-in to my Airport Extreme and can drag-and-drop files to the drive with no problem but don't seem to have the option to save Office files. Is this perhaps some kind of 'permissions' or need-to-enable-sharing type issue? Did you resolve the issue on your system?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not sure this will fix the problem but it does for me. I just tried this in Preview but it should work in other programs. When you are in the Save As dialog box click the arrow immediately to the right of the slot to enter a new filename. This should expand the dialog box. If necessary scroll downward until you reach the "Shared" section of the sidebar. Your drives should appear there.

Reaction score
Thanks and expanding the Save As dialog box does allow me to see my Airport Extreme in the Shared section of the sidebar. My problem is the "Save" button in that dialog box is grayed-out and hence, I'm unable to save the file. I'm thinking it still might be a permissions-type issue but I'm unsure where to look for the setting.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OK michaelgt now that we know the Save AS dialog is expanded you may well be right about this being a permissions issue. Try this and see if it corrects the problem:

1. From within the Finder single-click the problem hard drive and select Get Info from the File menu (command I).
2. When the window appears look at the Sharing and Permissions section. If this area is collapsed (no user names showing) click the disclosure triangle to the left, When the user names appear click the padlock icon and enter an administrator password.
3. If your user name is there change the permissions to Read & Write. If it is not click the + to add the account and make the permission change.

Reaction score
Thanks. I did open the "Get Info" section on the USB hard-drive and unfortunately, I don't see a "Sharing and Permissions" section. I see a "General" section with 'Kind', 'Size', 'Created', 'Modified', 'Original' and 'Label' sub-sections, an emtpy "More Info" section and then a "Preview" section that contains a blue drive icon with the WiFi emblem on it.

It's also strange that while I've successfully drag-and-dropped files onto the drive which I'm able to access via Finder, the Get Info dialog box shows the drive as "Zero KB on disk (Zero bytes)" in the above-mentioned 'Size' subsection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.