• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple, others test on-chip liquid cooling technology

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

Apple, others test on-chip liquid cooling technology
October 7, 2003 - 14:08 EDT Apple could possibly take advantage of a new processor-cooling technique announced yesterday by Cooligy, a Stanford University spin-off company. In fact, the company said it has already prototyped the system with Apple, Intel and AMD. "Cooligy's approach -- called Active Micro-Channel Cooling (AMC) -- involves scoring hundreds of tiny channels into a silicon layer placed on the upper surface of the chip package, reports The Register. "Water -- or any other fluid, for that matter -- circulates through the channels drawing heat away from the core... The Apple connection is interesting since Cooligy's could play a major role in allowing the company to ship G5-based PowerBooks. The 64-bit CPU requires a major computer-controlled cooling system in its desktop incarnation, rendering it effectively useless for mobile applications."

My Comments: Wahoo! This is the news that I have been waiting for! Very very very exciting! If this actually works and Apple takes advantage of it.. I see PowerBook G5's in our near future! :) Well probably between 1-2 years.. Wahoo!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
1-2 years? pff im thinking 6months - 1.5 years.. 2 is a streach. They will work fast. the first g5 powerbook will probly burn your house down.

This looks interesting indeed!

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Steve said there working on a PB G5 and hope to have it out by Dec 2004... and WE ALL KNEW they are using Liquid Cooling...

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's just good to see it in print :) Like I said 1-2 years, so that includes anywhere between 1 year and 2 years, nothing over 2 years and nothing less than a year :) And I think Dec 2004 is right in there. So in other words nah nah nah! phhhbbbt! *hehe* Ok Im just giddy thinking about the Powerbook G5.. hold on a sec while I jump in my Time Machine and go grab one!

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Apple again, pushing the threshold of ingenuity...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I hope it not like my house/car air-conditioner units. That you have to have it serviced from time to time.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*rofl* yeah no kidding.. get it refilled *grin* It would be interesting.. but then again it would have a vacuum around it is my guess.. so evapuration couldnt happen.. that is quite a funny comment though :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Murlyn said:
It's just good to see it in print :) Like I said 1-2 years, so that includes anywhere between 1 year and 2 years, nothing over 2 years and nothing less than a year :) And I think Dec 2004 is right in there. So in other words nah nah nah! phhhbbbt! *hehe* Ok Im just giddy thinking about the Powerbook G5.. hold on a sec while I jump in my Time Machine and go grab one!

I think we all know what time frame your talking about..psycho... :D jk yeah I was just messin around with the 1.5years :) Because it is all the same :D (guess ill have to use my ":D" more often)

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think we were all joking around :) It's been a long hard week.. and it's only Wednesday! I need a good laugh here and there :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.