Administrator Rights

T

Tyche

I recently had administrator rights put on my new G5 at work, and a host of little problems have begun to crop up, such as extensis suitcase keeps quitting and not recognising certain fonts, software conflicts, will not read certain files, claiming that they are corrupt even though the same file can open on other machines. The software update wont work in my user profile but will work in administrator however, on another machine in the office when all these updates have been installed, more problems have occured. Our IT "specialitsts" claim it is because administrator rights have been put on the machine and want to wipe the whole machine clean and reload everything. I am really afraid these people will screw something up
*** Can this be true? I am more familiar with PC's and i know that putting administrator rights on a machine does not interfere with anything at all. Why would a safety mechanism cause so much trouble?

thanks fo the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
that shouldn't create a problem, unless suitcase is being used also to manage system fonts, in which case, it may have problems with a few fonts, but not enough to cause this sort of problem. have you repaired permissions since this all started, or right after they added the administrator rights? I assume you mean they made another account or more for users that aren't admin accounts. though suitcases problems may also result from these few fonts giving you trouble being located in the admin accounts user or home folder, and when it tries to access them, it can't without admin rights.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.