Compatibility of Hard drive with heavy duty usage

Reaction score
Hi. I have a Hard Drive which was formatted on Windows as FAT32. This presents no issue as I can transfer files between both Mac and windows. The biggest problem is that I want to transfer disk image files over 4g (about 6-7gb) to the hard drive as backup. With the FAT32 format I can't. To use any of the other formats through which I am allowed to transfer big files I lose the usage on windows which is something I can't afford seeing as I have to sync between laptop and university desktops. Is there a way to do this? I've read on other posts that I can partition the USB. I did but didn't understand what happened. I uploaded on my Mac some files and then when I went to windows it told me I have to format it to use it. Can anyone explain this please? Thanks.
p.s. it was partitioned as mac os extended

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Newer versions of Windows use the NTFS filesystem. Mac OS X supports NTFS, but in read only mode. There are a number of different ways to address this:

1. Format the drive as NTFS on Windows. Then, install a driver on the Mac that can read and write to NTFS.

There's a few different options -

* Snow Leopard (10.6) has experimental support for NTFS write functionality, but you need to run a Terminal command to enable it - currently it's unsupported, so you run the risk of data loss.

* You can purchase Paragon NTFS for Mac, which does a great job with NTFS, it also contains a driver for Boot Camp so that you can read/write to your Mac-formatted drives using HFS+ on Windows. Very handy.

* You can try the free NTFS 3G with MacFUSE, but I'm told that this can be kludgy too.

2. You can format the drive HFS+ ("Mac OS X Extended" in Disk Utility) and use MacDrive on Windows to read/write to the disk.

3. If the two machines are setup on a network, you can use file sharing to bypass the hard drive altogether and just transfer over the network.

OP
T
Reaction score
First off, thanks.
Newer versions of Windows use the NTFS filesystem. Mac OS X supports NTFS, but in read only mode. There are a number of different ways to address this:

1. Format the drive as NTFS on Windows. Then, install a driver on the Mac that can read and write to NTFS.
Like which driver?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First off, thanks.

Like which driver?

I do believe he covered all the options.

There's a few different options -

* Snow Leopard (10.6) has experimental support for NTFS write functionality, but you need to run a Terminal command to enable it - currently it's unsupported, so you run the risk of data loss.

* You can purchase Paragon NTFS for Mac, which does a great job with NTFS, it also contains a driver for Boot Camp so that you can read/write to your Mac-formatted drives using HFS+ on Windows. Very handy.

* You can try the free NTFS 3G with MacFUSE, but I'm told that this can be kludgy too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.