Good and reliable external hardrives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Book G4 10.5.5
Hi guys,

Just wondering if you have any recommendation of any good and reliable external hardrive? I need 2 I think. I am going to get a new iMac, so I need a 1TB one to work with the time machine, then I will also need another one, doesn't have to be 1TB just as a 2nd back up. I am a photographer, so it's important I keep more than 1 copy of my work. I am rebuilding my archive so planning on using 1 hardrive to link with my new mac, another one have identical copies then make 3rd copies on DVDs.

I might also need a replacement of my portable HD which I think it's dying.

Any opinion is appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4gb | 16gb white iPhone 3Gs | MacBook 2.1GHz, 1gb | 40gb AppleTV |
I have a Seagate FreeAgent 1TB for Mac, and have had no problems with it. I use it for my time machine backups. I paid about $150 for it a year ago, looks like the price has come done some. Seagate at Frys I use it with the firewire 800, it is amazing fast, plus it leaves a free usb port for other items.

I'ver super happy with it, if I ever need another I would get this one again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
i am using a wd20000h2q (2TB external drive) it has 2 1TB drives in it that i have set up as raid to mirror them, so i only get 1TB to actually use as backup. works fine with Time machine. Its almost a year old and a quick search on google could not find any quickly but Western D must have made a replacement for it.

Reaction score
I would recommend using a web based solution such as Carbonite. You have your originals on your internal drive, a second backup on an external drive, and then the third backup could be the Carbonite backup. That way you've got an external drive in case your internal drive dies but you also have the offsite backup to protect you in case of a fire or theft. I believe Carbonite is about $55 per year but that is for unlimited storage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
you also have the offsite backup to protect you in case of a fire or theft.
Good point

+1 for WD i have 1TB MyBook and its plug and play .. No need to format like some others ......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've always been partial to buying internal bare drives and buying a case to put them in. In most cases this is more cost effective and allows you to get better drive size and the interface you choose at a lower price point. For example I can pair a 1Tb Seagate or Hitachi internal SATA II drive with a FireWire-400 case for about $100, not a bad deal and each are covered under their manufactures warranties so you will get them replaced for at least a year if wither fails.

To be honest, the last thing you want to do is couple a big fast drive to a slow interface like USB 2. Data transfer is a nightmare. Go with FireWire 400 or 800 (if your getting a new iMac you have to go with $800 which will drive the price up a bit). Either way though, don't go with USB-2, you'll regret it, trust me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
To be honest, the last thing you want to do is couple a big fast drive to a slow interface like USB 2. Data transfer is a nightmare. Go with FireWire 400 or 800 (if your getting a new iMac you have to go with $800 which will drive the price up a bit). Either way though, don't go with USB-2, you'll regret it, trust me.

This is the best advice yet. Whatever you get, get Firewire 400 or 800 (or ethernet if you can find a drive with it in your price range). I use Firewire 800 and it's incredibly FAST!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.