Trouble installing windows xp on boot camp

Reaction score
When I first purchased my imac I also purchased and installed vm fusion. I wasn't happy with it so I uninstalled fusion
. In doing this should I have removed the partition, or was that done when I uninstalled fusion?

I am now trying to install windows xp into boot camp. When I get to the point in the installation when windows requires an ok to set the resolution my computer crashes...

What am I doing wrong!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I first purchased my imac I also purchased and installed vm fusion. I wasn't happy with it so I uninstalled fusion
. In doing this should I have removed the partition, or was that done when I uninstalled fusion?

It was done when you uninstalled Fusion. However, you need to make sure the VM was removed. The VM will be a large file the same size of the Windows partition you created for it.

I am now trying to install windows xp into boot camp. When I get to the point in the installation when windows requires an ok to set the resolution my computer crashes...

What am I doing wrong!

What resolution are you trying to set in? You could be exceeding the capability of the driver.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for your help...Do I need to change the resolution in Apple so that Xp will load? If I need to change the resolution in XP, how do I go about doing that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
I was thinking about using Fusion. I have installed Windows 7 via Boot Camp for now. Can you explain what you didn't like about Fusion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24 '' I-MAC, 4GB, GT130, XP Pro SP3
Thank you for your help...Do I need to change the resolution in Apple so that Xp will load? If I need to change the resolution in XP, how do I go about doing that?

You install XP in lowres... 800x600 always. After that you install or adjust the display drivers. Then you patch all the way up to SP3. Install all the latest Display drivers etc. Once all is working fine, then you install apps.

Regards,
Coolknight

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.