Triple Boot OSX, XP, and Win 7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHZ, 3GB RAM, 500GB HD, OSX/Win 7
Right now I have Windows 7 already installed and dual booted on my Macbook, but I would like to triple boot OSX, XP, and 7. Does anyone know how to go about doing this and if I would need to delete my Win 7 partition and start fresh? If anyone knows how to do this directions on how to would be awesome.:Smirk:

My specs are:
Macbook
Intel Core 2 duo 2.0ghz
2GB DDR3 8500 Memory
500GB HD
Dual Boot:
OSX 10.5.8
Windows 7 Ultimate

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Windows XP and Vista/7 use different kinds of MBRs. Getting them to play nicely is tricky, which is why it's recommended to install XP before you install 7 if you want to dual-boot.

To make things worse, Boot Camp is really only designed to split the machine into two partitions and sets the EFI to properly boot legacy operating systems like XP.

To get around this, you would need to use something like rEFIt, but it's not going to be easy.

I would recommend running XP and/or 7 in virtualization instead, unless you need to run high-end games. You'll get the same performance level and you won't have to jump through all kinds of hoops with your partition structure.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHZ, 3GB RAM, 500GB HD, OSX/Win 7
Well by what you tell me i think i may just run 7 in a virtual machine. Possibly thinking about putting linux instead of 7 as that third partition. any suggestions on which linux version is good?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well by what you tell me i think i may just run 7 in a virtual machine. Possibly thinking about putting linux instead of 7 as that third partition. any suggestions on which linux version is good?

Ubuntu is very popular because it's easy to install and comes preloaded with just about every driver you could possibly want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.