external HD on a macbook pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13' 2GB RAM 160GB HD
just got a macbook pro and im trying to get my old pics on to here,i plugged it in first time and it worked but not it doesnt show up when i plug it in. im using usb 2.0 NOT firewire, iv tried both ports but it still wont show up . please help !

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you open up Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities), does it show up on the left hand side when it is plugged in (and turned on if appropriate)? What filesystem has the drive been formatted with? Does it work with another computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"
Is it a branded USB hard drive?

One of my friends has a SATA enclosure with his own HDD installed and it's touch and go with his iMac - but my WD Passport works flawless every time.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13' 2GB RAM 160GB HD
yes it works with mt old laptop, its callled "Q Disk" , its formatted to take big files and cant remember whats thats called sorry :p lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"
yes it works with mt old laptop, its callled "Q Disk" , its formatted to take big files and cant remember whats thats called sorry :p lol

Could be NTFS - Should still work on OSX though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
if it's NTFS then you only have read access under OSX

for full NTFS read/write access you need to install the appropriate filesystem driver, you can use wither the free NTFS-3G (+MacFUSE) or paid Paragon NTFS for Mac

it's easy to install without a hassle or anything

however it's strange that you don't see the drive at all, you should definitely try what Vansmith suggested, have a look at Disk Utility and try mounting the disk

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.