Snapshot of screen, where'd the file go?

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just pressed command+shift+4 to take a snapshot of a small space on my screen. Well, it snapped the shot (I heard the camera sound), but I haven no idea where it saved it!

1. Do you know where it saved the file?
2. How do you change the default location it saves?

Thanks guys!

--Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
The default location is either the Desktop or Documents folder...

I can't for the life of me remember how to change the location or file type even though I've done it myself...

Someone will chime in with the answer...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Default location is your Desktop, saved as a PNG. The solutions I found for changing the default location and filetype don't work with SL because the plist for changing these values (com.apple.screencapture) doesn't exist. You can have it save to your clipboard though by holding down control - Control-Shift-Command-3 will store your screenshot in your clipboard and the same for Control-Shift-Command-4. You can then paste it somewhere and save as you wish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My choice is to use Sharpshooter < renames pic on the fly, so u don't have Pic 1 Pic 2 etc > and then i use Secrets to change them automatically to jpg as some PCs don't seem to like png and that also allows me to put them on desktop or where ever u want them.
Used this in Leopard and SL.
Download Sharpshooter for Mac - Rename screenshots as they are taken. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads
Download Secrets for Mac - Customize many hidden or incomplete Mac OS X settings. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I use Grab a lot too (comes with your Mac). Just depends if I've gone into the Applications folder and opened it yet. Screen shot is ok but I like Grab for some reason.

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just pressed command+shift+4 to take a snapshot of a small space on my screen. Well, it snapped the shot (I heard the camera sound), but I haven no idea where it saved it!

1. Do you know where it saved the file?
2. How do you change the default location it saves?

Thanks guys!

--Sean

If you havent actually clicked on "File" and "Save" or "Save As", the image hasn't been saved anywhere yet (I believe). It is still in the clipboard and you would need to save it from the file menu in Preview or Grab (whichever your using).

Maybe there is an "auto-save" function but I believe you would still need to name the file before saving.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you havent actually clicked on "File" and "Save" or "Save As", the image hasn't been saved anywhere yet (I believe). It is still in the clipboard and you would need to save it from the file menu in Preview or Grab (whichever your using).

Maybe there is an "auto-save" function but I believe you would still need to name the file before saving.
Not quite. If you don't hold control down, the screenshot is taken immediately and saved to your Desktop. Try it - push Command-Shift-3 and look at your Desktop ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
f you havent actually clicked on "File" and "Save" or "Save As", the image hasn't been saved anywhere yet (I believe).
Not so - if it the default settings exist, then it is saved automatically onto the Desktop as Picture1.png and next one will be Picture2.png. One you hear the shutter sound using the key combination the file has been saved.

Reaction score
aaah. I kinda figured there might be something like that. I dont use keyboard shortcuts 'cause I can never remember them. :(. I would need to have a "cheat sheet".

The only one I remember sometimes is the one for zooming on a window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I dont use keyboard shortcuts 'cause I can never remember them. :(. I would need to have a "cheat sheet".

The only one I remember sometimes is the one for zooming on a window.

CheatSheet just for you ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Please excuse droflex as he is very, very sick and requires many days of doctor ordered bed rest and medication.

signed: droflex's Mom.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please excuse droflex as he is very, very sick and requires many days of doctor ordered bed rest and medication.

signed: droflex's Mom.

:)

HAHAHAHA Crack up .... I see a flaw in YOUR mom's signature ;D Tho lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.