overheating?

N

NenaLatina5

i just got a 12" Pb OS X and the fan started making a noise, as if it was overworking, and cold air was coming out from the back. this hasnt happened before..so idk if its overheating..and if it is..should i just shut if off..or what should i do?

OP
S

Steel02001

Find out what temp you are actually running at before we jump to conclusions. iPulse will tell you the temp, there is another way to tell but I cant remember it at the moment though.

OP
N

NenaLatina5

iPulse is telling me its running at 47C (116.6F), but the noise is not as loud now. is this temp normal?

thanks a lot :)

OP
S

Steel02001

I am running at 49.5 right now and that is a little bit warmer than I typically like but still ok. You are doing alright though. ALso, do a search for temp. a lot of people thought there temp went up after tiger install so there were a few post on it. But ya, you are doing OK.

I just did some searching and you are well within normal amounts at that and lower than some.

OP
I

iFX

Laptops generally dont overheat too easily... G4 chips do tend to get pretty hot though :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I've gotten my old 12" up to 60C with no problems. Somewhere around 75C the system will physically shut itself off to prevent damage to the chip. The fan will kick in, and you'll hear it, around 45C. This is perfectly normal...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you have to download it from versiontracker.com
-chris

OP
S

Steel02001

iFX said:
I have the 17" PB... why can I not find iPulse on it? :(
AM I IGNORANT??

Sorry for the confusion. The guys are right it needs to be downloaded. However I am like 85% sure there is something else on the laptop that will tell you its temp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i am running at 57.5 C is this average, too hot, or below average, never actually cared to know what my computer temperature was running at until this thread.

OP
H

hill.ed

Im getting sick and tired of the fan coming on just by doing stuff like playing a song in itunes. Apple will be getting a phone call VERY soon. on average my system is running at 50-55 degrees. Most run on average at 40-42 degrees.

It has only happened since i installed tiger? lucky i bought the apple protection care...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmmm so i should call up and let them know my computer is running hotter then normal, or is it no big deal and don't fix it if it isn't broken

OP
K

Kokopelli

My 12" PB was exhibiting the same symptoms. Based on a similar problem I remembered reading from about 3-4 months ago involving PowerMacs I set processor performance to "highest". As counter intuitive as it seems this appears to have stopped the fan from coming on prematurely.

I have only had it at this setting since yesterday so the evidence is sketchy at best. It might be worth a try though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well it also depends on the ambient temperature to a certain degree:

If it is blisteringly hot in my room, and the powerbook's fans are sucking in warmish air, it's not going to cool down as much.

But if it's cooler in the room, the powerbook's internal temperature will also be lower.

I know it sounds obvious, but if some of you are posting temperatures from Alaska and some from the south pacific, you'll get fluctuating temperature readouts - even on identical systems!

OP
H

hill.ed

well im in England and the only thing thats hot in this country is my PowerBook!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Yeah, leaving any Mac on "highest" for the processor setting just isn't a good idea. The system can throttle the chip up to speed in a matter of milliseconds, when it needs to, in automatic mode. Leaving it on high just burns power, and makes the fans constantly come on. Glad somebody brought that up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my fan doesn't go on any more like it use to... but it gets a little hotter then it use to, why is this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.