Some advice for a complete newb

Reaction score
Hey guys!

This is my first post so please be easy on me.

I am currently in the process of backing up and restoring my Macbook Pro (mid-2009) and was wondering:

i. For applications, can I just copy them to my external drive and than after the re-install, recopy them back to my Macbook?

ii. Also, for application settings, is there a way to copy and paste them too? Or is there a way to back them up so that I could just easily restore the settings?

That's pretty much it.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It depends on the applications!
Some applications are just simply drag and drop applications, and some have installer packages, and some require serial numbers.
The put it simply, any apps that come on installation discs, you will need to install from them, and those that you downloaded from sites that were just drag and drop and don't come with uninstallers you can generally just drag and drop from external to internal drive, and vise versa.
If you have plenty of time on your hands, you can search your HD for items connected to applications and drag and drop them all, but you will find that this is quite tedious, and you will end up with apps that don't work properly, before trial and error finally works for you.
As for your second question, you can just drag and drop them (rather than copy and paste).
The easiest backup option is to use time machine, or to use CCC or Superduper to make bootable clones of your HD which you can also use to keep upto date backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
If you're going to copy all the data files, including the entire Library Folder, back to the HD, then the applications should have everything they need.

OP
E
Reaction score
thanks so much!

i'll let you know what does and doesnt work after

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
Personally I like a fresh start, to get rid of any junk/problems which have piled up over time. This is more true for Windows, but still...

So I would load everything anew from install disks or new downloads.

I think actually that will be faster than trying to just copy, and hassling with unforeseen problems-which will inevitably happen at a critical time...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
thanks so much!

i'll let you know what does and doesnt work after

Before you race off and start the process it may be profitable to just check that the worst case is covered. Do you have the install disks that came with the Mac?

Doing a Archive and Install off that gives you a fresh OS and your old files user files will still be on the HD. If u start dragging Apps around you could get into trouble.
Better still use Superduper to make a mirror copy onto your External HD then that is there as insurance if it goes 'Pear Shaped' re installing OS

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.