Help getting internet hooked up.

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this.

Currently have a Macbook and just have been getting internet wirelessly from my parents. Got my own place and trying to get the internet set up. Century Link sent me a wired modem, which I will put a linksys wireless router on.

I received it and tried hooking everything up, but could not get the internet to work. And of course, they didn't know what was wrong because they don't know about Apple products. Can someone guide me to what my network settings need to be and all that such. They did tell me what my IP Address and Subnet Mask needs to be, but even after all that was entered correctly and resetting the router multiple times, it still would work.

I know this doesn't really explain my situation, but just putting a feeler out there for any kind of information that could help me.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Did your wireless router come with any drivers/software?

I don't have a linksys router, so can't exactly help you step by step. However if you do a quick google search there are videos on youtube that show how to do it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, it has software. But, it doesn't say its compatible with mac os stuff, so that might be a problem.

But, the linksys wireless router isn't my problem yet. I can't get it to work directly hardwired from the modem they sent me. Didn't know if there were any numbers or settings that needed to be cleared before I hooked it up, and turn Airport off possibly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Aluminum 2.4, 4g mem, 640 gig drive
If you are not getting connection with a direct hardwire, it may be a modem issue. Do you have access to another device to try to connect? You can can also call your ISP and ask them if they can "ping" the modem on thier end to see if it's working properly.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Install the modem as they described. Forget the router for the time being. Allow it to initialize for about a minute after you get it plugged in. Then, plug your computer directly into it. Give it about 30 seconds, then open a browser and see what you get.

Most likely, you will be in "walled garden" mode, where you need to activate the modem before you proceed. Once you get that done and you can out to the Internet, then you're ready to config the router.

Just make sure that modem is working first.

OP
S
Reaction score
Should I clear anything that is current while I am getting internet at my parents? I have it to where I am on xbox live wirelessly. Under Network Settings > Ethernet should I clear the current IP address and then put theirs in? Also change the configure tab to Using DHCP instead of Manually? Do all and turn airport off before I hook up any wires?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.