Mac running sluggish - hard drive problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
Hello everyone

So, within the past month or so my Mac has been running sluggish, especially during startup, which takes at least five minutes and is stuck on the grey screen for most of that time. Sometimes it takes a long time to launch an app. Another really noticeable slow-down is when saving files. It lags. Everything lags: when I have iTunes running in the background and I'm saving a document or open my Documents folder, the music stops. So from what I can tell there's something screwed up with my hard drive. I've already repaired/verified the disk and the disk permissions, which made minimal improvements.

The hard drive I believe I have is the Seagate Momentus @7200RPM. I bought this drive last summer.

Bottom line, I wanna ask if this qualifies as a solution: I have a back-up disk that I use regularly with Time Machine. Should I completely erase my Seagate drive, reinstall Snow Leopard, then use Migrant Assistant to import my documents to my newly installed OS? While I'm at this could I also import applications and things like that? I'm not really aware of the features/limitations of Migrant Assistant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
How about starting by setting up a new User and log into that to see if the issues shows up there as well. Look here for clues as well .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.