iPhone SDK Development

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm new here, and have a favor to ask.

I need to know the all the prerequisites of developing an application for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I have very little programming knowledge compared to the average programmer, but I'm just starting out.

I've downloaded the SDK, and played around with the applications, but I realized that almost every guide/tutorial/helpFAQ reccomends you learn Objective C first. When I looked for a guide on learning Objective C, they all said you should learn "other languages" first.

So can any one point me to a book that teaches Objective C aimed at people who don't know any other languages?

And after I learn Objective C, what's next? Should I pick up a book on Xcode?

Also, is there a book that teaches how to use Interface Builder in correlation with Xcode, and all the other programs that come with the SDK?

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. The programming experience I have is in VisualBasic.NET Express Edition 2008/10.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You'll want to learn Objective C first, and it definitely helps to know a Object Oriented Programing (OOP) language so that you can just focus on the Obj-C specific stuff and not have to learn OOP as well.

Either way, try this book as a Obj-C one:
APRESS.COM : Learn Objective–C on the Mac : 9781430218159

Then you can go to:
APRESS.COM : Learn Cocoa on the Mac : 9781430218593

And finally:
APRESS.COM : Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK : 9781430216261

The Cocoa on Mac is good because the iPhone SDK is called Cocoa Touch and essentially a toned version of the framework that runs on the Mac.

The Cocoa and Iphone SDK books will go into all the details of Interface Builder and all that..

Regards

OP
Kiriashi
Reaction score
So there are no requirements for that first book? Does it start from the very beginning?

Also, what exactly is cocoa? Is that just another name for the iPhone SDK as a whole, or something different?

Please excuse my "noobiness", I'm quite the beginner.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The first book does start the basics, and also delves into OOP a little, but no where into the depth to overwhelm. It's definitely a good book to start with if you have ANY programming experience.

Cocoa is the name of the framework within Mac OS that makes the UI work. Cocoa Touch is implemented in the iPhone SDK..

So if you learn Cocoa, you can program for the Mac itself and also for the iPhone/iPod Touch and now iPad..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.