Airport Express stops me accessing Airport Extreme connected hard-drive and other Mac

Reaction score
My set-up:
MacBook and iMac both running Snow Leopard.
Sky(Netgear) wireless router/modem->(ethernet cable)>airport extreme->hard-drives used as Time Machine back-ups.
iMac closest to airport extreme.
Airport express midway between airport extreme and downstairs room.
MacBook roaming from downstairs to upstairs.

My Problem:
I bought airport express to extend the range of my airport extreme wireless network into a room which had poor signal.
It's a room downstairs furthest from my airport extreme and it's where I use my MacBook.
My iMac is in an office room upstairs closer to my airport extreme.

I used the latest version of airport utility to set up airport extreme checking the box to create a wireless network and the box to allow it to be extended.
I did the same for the express but checked the box to extend a wireless network and checked the box to allow wireless clients.
For both devices I chose the same wireless network (that from the extreme).

Problems:
Although I can access the internet from my MacBook better now, I can no longer find or access either my iMac or the hard drive attached by ethernet to the airport extreme whilst in the downstairs room.
Which means I can't transfer files and can't back-up using Time Machine.
If I move back up to the upstairs room then the MacBook finds them again.

Any suggestions?
Could it be anything to do with DHCP or IP addresses?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.