Received the refurbished Macbook Pro today!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
When I asked probably a month ago if a Mac was right for me, I got a bunch of great replies here.

I was thinking of getting the entry level Macbook. But one guy suggested that I consider a refurbished, entry level Macbook Pro for the same price. Suggested it was the same as new.

So I did consider it, and I bought it, for the same price as the entry level Macbook. (with the white plastic enclosure instead of milled aluminum)

I just opened it now, but haven't powered it up yet. (I need to work a few more hours first) But it does indeed look like new. the only way I could tell it isn't is maybe a bit less cellophane wrap and such. Here are some pix to give you an idea:

Opening the box, we have the accessories slide box nested on top of the computer in custom foam inserts that fit the exterior box, and give some spacing in case someone hits it from the outside:
IMG_2745.jpg

Opening the slide box, we find in the left compartment a little envelope labeled 'Everything else' install DVDs for Mac OS X and applications, a couple of white Apple stickers, (I'm going to put one on my black work laptop) and a software license agreement pamphlet (Has anyone actually ever read that?); a black microfiber screen cloth, and an 84 pg., all English booklet entitled 'Everything Mac.'
IMG_2747.jpg

The rest of the pictures show what looks like a mint condition Macbook Pro. No scratches or dents anywhere.

Top view:
IMG_2748.jpg

Right side view:
IMG_2749.jpg

Left side view:
IMG_2750.jpg

Overall close-up, open view:
IMG_2752.jpg

Keyboard and touch pad close-up:
IMG_2754.jpg

Now I can spend a couple hundred dollars on AppleCare, a case, and maybe a MagicMouse without too much guilt.

OP
JeremyZ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't believe how BIG that daggone touch pad is.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was thinking of getting the entry level Macbook. But one guy suggested that I consider a refurbished, entry level Macbook Pro for the same price. Suggested it was the same as new.

Yupp...that's what we try & tell people when considering a new Mac purchase...check out the refurbished stuff first!!!:)

Just like brand new...with a full 12 month warranty (just like new computers).

You're going to have a VERY FUN Friday night!!!:):):)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13-Inch, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, Intel Core 2 Duo, Snow Leopard
looks brand spanking new - looks just like the one im typing on right now (except i have a british uk keyboard layout)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 1TB HD | ATI Radeon 4670 256MB | iPhone (1st gen)
Lordy I love their packaging ... it's so shexy.

OP
JeremyZ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is my first post from the Macbook. Do I look different? :D

I can't believe how well-designed this computer is. My Lenovo PC laptop is also well-designed, but there are just a few nice touches. This whole THING is a nice touch.

Already, I miss the Pg Up, Pg Dn, Home, and End buttons though.

I looked down at the keyboard and was looking for the Open Apple and Closed Apple buttons. Does that date me? :D

As I look at the shifting keys, I see that Apple has made a concession to PCs. The option key has a tiny 'alt' at the top side of it.

The backlit keyboard is wonderful. To anyone thinking of buying the entry level Macbook, I highly recommend the Pro just for this. That's all for now. Time to play with the apps some more.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This is my first post from the Macbook. Do I look different? :D

I can't believe how well-designed this computer is. My Lenovo PC laptop is also well-designed, but there are just a few nice touches. This whole THING is a nice touch.

I was wondering if you were going to stop in tonight...or if you were having so much fun with that brand spankin new MBP...you forgot about us!;)

BTW...my older 17" MBP has the Pg Up, Pg Dn, Home, and End buttons...they're on the 4 arrow keys.

Enjoy that new Mac!

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm glad you posted pics. ^-^" A movie of the unwrapping would have been nice too. :p

OP
JeremyZ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was wondering if you were going to stop in tonight...or if you were having so much fun with that brand spankin new MBP...you forgot about us!;)

It's funny you should mention it. I had one last misadventure with the ol' PC. It crashed last week, so I lost the bookmark and password to get to my wireless router's Wireless Security page to get the password so I could set up the Mac. Had about a 2 hour fiasco trying to get 'er done. Only to find out that god**** Norton Antivirus was blocking me from getting to the internet. Got Norton off and AVG on, and I hope to never touch that PC again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Those pic's are a selling point in themselves for a refurbed MBP ... Hmmm now to consider looking at the Aust Store to see what they have to offer me.
Looks sweet mate and well done ...

Mighty envious

Would love a backlit keyboard instead of having to melt the candle on my rest pads every night .....
It is starting to burn a bit low :(
Congrats

Cheers

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Those pic's are a selling point in themselves for a refurbed MBP ... Hmmm now to consider looking at the Aust Store to see what they have to offer me.
Looks sweet mate and well done ...

Mighty envious

Would love a backlit keyboard instead of having to melt the candle on my rest pads every night .....
It is starting to burn a bit low :(
Congrats

Cheers

LOL, you make it sound like you are still in the dark ages. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
haha I remember open apple and closed apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

You can page down using spacebar or page up using shift+spacebar.
Home = ctrl+left arrow
End = ctrl+right arrow

There's lots of cool keyboard shortcuts here. Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts

Congrats on your new Mac! :)

Reaction score
I'm also in the market for a new MBP and the refurb prices are very appealing. Has anyone ever gotten a less than perfect referb? I wonder how their policies are regarding cosmetics? (I know the functionality will be as new)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
haha I remember open apple and closed apple

Man that brings back memories of 8th grade and using the old Apple IIe's. jeez I'm old...

Oh yeah... congrats on your Mac JeremyZ! ;D

OP
JeremyZ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Went to the Apple store yesterday...

...and bought a bag, a book, and a firewire cable to go with the camcorder.

Here's the case I bought.

TW207

Once I cut off the little rubber brand name tag, it looks just like a soft brief case one would bring to work. It has two gusseted pockets on one side, and a large velcro one on the other. (for paper documents) The inside is a snug fit. The handles stash away in their own little pockets. If you use the handles instead of the shoulder strap, the handle pockets are big enough for an iPod.

The book I bought was one that is recommended here a lot. (thanks guys & gals) Switching to the Mac, by David Pogue.

The Belkin cable was thirty bucks! But I checked the price on Amazon while I was there, and it is the same price. Oh well, at least it seems to be of good quality.

Now, it just seems like I need to scrape together the money for AppleCare.

C

chas_m

As for page up, page down, home and end: the "command" key (the one next to your spacebar) is your friend.

command+up= page up
command+down=page down
command+left=home
command+right=end

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.