mac pro ssd boot disk hd4870 problem

Reaction score
Hi All-

I have an 8 core mac pro (early 2008 ) with 8 gigs of ram, running OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard) and a Radeon HD 4870 graphics card feeding two Nec multisync 2690 wuxi monitors..

Last night I put an Intel 120 gb SSD drive in the lower optical bay, used Carbon Copy Clone to clone my boot drive to the SSD drive. I can boot my system fine from a shutdown, but when I try to do a restart, the boot gets most of the way there but the monitors start blinking and either both stay blue or the boot monitor comes up with messed up graphics. If I shutdown and restart cold, everything is fine. If I switch back to the old boot drive, everything is fine.
If I put back my old graphics card (HD 2600) and use the new SSD boot drive, everything works fine.

Any ideas ? I can still return my 4870 to the apple store and swap it for two GT 120s--
Think I'll have better luck with these ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.