sleep or shutdown

Reaction score
If I'm putting my macbook in my backpack for an hour or so should I shut it down or just let it sleep?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Just Sleep.. no reason to shut it completely down.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just be careful.... Putting the machine to sleep and storing it in your backpack is OK but be aware if the machine should wake while in your backpack (for any reason) it may overheat. Although the machine is designed to shut down if it does overheat, it's not doing it any good....

Regards.

Reaction score
Just be careful.... Putting the machine to sleep and storing it in your backpack is OK but be aware if the machine should wake while in your backpack (for any reason) it may overheat. Although the machine is designed to shut down if it does overheat, it's not doing it any good....

Regards.

If it's sleeping how would it wake?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
well some1 walking behind you with an apple remote could wake it up :D and maybe a wake up schedule as well

however I can't remember the last time I actually shut down my MBP, if it's an hour to get to school, leaving it in sleep over night or over the weekend, the comfort of just opening the lid and having it set to go is well worth the small amount of battery life people always throw in my face ... I just like watching people around me staring at the boot sequence :D

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
well some1 walking behind you with an apple remote could wake it up :D and maybe a wake up schedule as well

however I can't remember the last time I actually shut down my MBP, if it's an hour to get to school, leaving it in sleep over night or over the weekend, the comfort of just opening the lid and having it set to go is well worth the small amount of battery life people always throw in my face ... I just like watching people around me staring at the boot sequence :D

LOL someone likes attention. :p

I've never had my MB wake up while it was in my messenger bag. I drive my car to school and usually skateboard or bike across campus with my MB in sleep mode. Been doing this for over a year now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
LOL someone likes attention. :p

I've never had my MB wake up while it was in my messenger bag. I drive my car to school and usually skateboard or bike across campus with my MB in sleep mode. Been doing this for over a year now.

never had it wake up on accident either, should have added that :D

anyway, I don't care for the attention, I meant I like watching people who care so much about their battery discharging in sleep mode, that they're willing to boot their computers just to check the bus times ... and all those boot chimes ringing across the lecture hall in the morning ;) especially Ubuntu :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.