17" iMac vs. 20" iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
On May 5th I purchased a 17" 2.0 Ghz iMac G5 from my local Apple store, and was very happy with it, but had a few hardware issues with the video cutting out. This had been occuring from day 1 of owning the iMac. Also, one of the first things I noticed about the iMac was that it was very very loud and my fans were always coming on, even from just opening a few applications such as iChat, Mail, and Safari and when I would rip on of my CD's into itunes, it was so loud it sounded like an airplain on my desk. Now, I have been using and IBM Thinkpad for the past 8+ years, and my latest one (T30) is rather loud when I have it in my docking station, so I am somewhat used to less than quiet systems.

Well today I had had enough today with the hardware failures and exchanged my 17" iMac for a new one at the applestore, but instead of getting another 17" I picked up a 20" since they had them in stock.

As soon as I powered the unit up I noticed that the 20" monitor is so much nicer than the 17". While I haven't looked at the specs beyond the resolution, the 20" seems to have a much better viewing angle. Also, this unit is whisper quiet. Both mine and my wife's cousin's iMac (purchased same model, the same day) are equally loud.

Just my observations, but just on the noise alone I would have purchased the 20" if I knew it ahead of time.

Thanks,
Ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive
I noticed the exact same thing. I had the 1.8ghz 17" model but upgraded to the new 20" model and noticed a big difference in the noise. The 20" is much quieter and I also think the monitor looks better as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
The 20" is beautiful, i love it sooo much!
Alex

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I got the 20" iMac G5, and I just love it. I can't remember what the 17" looks like in person, but I do see pictures, and it looks so little for some reason in comparison to the 20". I'm glad you like the 20" better. :cool:

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
While, the Monitor is definately bigger/nicer on the 20", really the big item that I noticed was the sound. Why is the 17" so loud when the 20" is so quiet?

Thanks,
Ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
RGertner said:
While, the Monitor is definately bigger/nicer on the 20", really the big item that I noticed was the sound. Why is the 17" so loud when the 20" is so quiet?

Thanks,
Ray

I'm really not sure, but the way I see it, the 20" is about 25% thicker and larger in all dimensions as well. So, I think that extra room allows for just enough of an increase in the computer's ability to cool that the fans are required to spin up less frequently. More rooms for air to cool the computer through convection = less need for the fans to spin into the higher and louder RPMs.

-Chris

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
RGertner said:

Thanks,
Ray

I'm think that the confines of the 17" iMac might be a little more closed in, when the confines of the 20" iMac might be a little more spacious allowing more air flow. But that is only if you are talking about the fan issues of course.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to take back some of what I said. Today I purchased a 17" iMac for my Mom (yup switched another person)...

Anyway, the difference in noise between my 20" and her 17" (1.8Ghz w/Combo Drive) was very little. Yes, my 20" is a tad more quiet, but nothing like the 17" (2.0Ghz w/Super Drive) that I had. I imported a few CD's for her, setup her email and the system never got loud like my original 17" So I have to say, that I guess my problem was an abnormality.

Thanks,
Ray

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.