iMac 2006 17" slow and hard drive squeaks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz intel 1MB RAM Mac OS X 10.4.11
:( My hard drive has been acting up and only tonight could I actually get it booted. HDD makes high pitched squeaking noise when active, runs slow and peripheral USB HD drives either run slow or not at all. Thought the boot HDD was dead but is running well enough for now. Could it be a power supply problem?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
:( My hard drive has been acting up and only tonight could I actually get it booted. HDD makes high pitched squeaking noise when active, runs slow and peripheral USB HD drives either run slow or not at all. Thought the boot HDD was dead but is running well enough for now. Could it be a power supply problem?

Sounds like to me your internal hard drive is about to "die" on you. You need to back things up [size=+2]ASAP[/size]...and probably replace that drive.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz intel 1MB RAM Mac OS X 10.4.11
I found a small app to test the HDD and it said it had some bad sectors and yes I have backed up. I have a 5 year warranty so I expect I can get HDD replaced free. Spoke to a local Mac service center who said they would put a 500GB drive in so that can't be bad. I am now thinking I would add extra RAM and upgrade to Snow Leopard.
I am still puzzled why USB HDD fails to load. I am going to check the USB volts (4.75 - 5.25v) to see if that's working right.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.