MacBook 13" dead (dont want to start)

Reaction score
hello guys, my mac don't want to start, and I don't know what to do.

One day I was deleting some videos because my 160gb HD was full, then I was deleting one video and the computer stopped erasing the video, so I did a force quit.

then when the computer was starting again it stays on the gray screen with the apple symbol and loading.

I put the installation disk and don't want to run it.
I did a system check and everything is fine.
I perform a safe boot and don't do it.

It always stay in the same screen.

100_3848.jpg

that's how she stays for hours.

thanks guys, I really appreciate any help.

Chris :D

Reaction score
System files are missing. I suggest you install Mac OS again but do not erase your HD, so your data will be ok. Just insert the disk and install Mac OS. Hope this help.

OP
S
Reaction score
I insert the installation disk 1, but it stays on the same screen , I turn off the computer and turn it on again and press C key but dont do anything. The disk dont want to run, I wish I had the extended warranty :(

any more ideas of what should be the problem.

thanks

Reaction score
Hi,
you insert the OS installation disk, reboot while press "option" key to boot from DVD.
At that time you can choose to install Mac OS again (remember do not erase your HD). try again bro.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok today I installed the OS X disk but failed, I dont erased the HD.

do you guys think I might try again erasing the HD??? I dont want to lose any info.

100_3851-1.jpg

any other info, a friend of mine have a mac with a damaged monitor, I can try swapping some parts.

thanks for the quick answers guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Hold option on reboot and select installation disc.
If you can do this, choose language then go to utilities/disk utility in the menu bar, select volume and repair disk.
If you are unable to boot from the disc, do the above by booting in target mode from your friends mac, and then going to utilities>disk utility in your mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
^^^ thanks man, I repaired the disk and says that the disk is ok, but I tried to run from the hard drive in the same menu, but dont want to run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
what version of OS X is on the machine and what version are you trying to install?

OP
S
Reaction score
I dont know what version of OS X I have, Im using the disk that comes with the macbook.

when Im selecting the destination of where I want the OSX to be installed, there is a caution mark on the HD photo, it says that I cannot upgrade this version of mac OS X because a newer version is installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what I was suspecting....... this means that you need to either erase your hard drive and do a clean install, or an archive install.
I'm presuming that you have Leopard, and had it up to 10.5.8, in which case you would not be able to install from a retail disc if you bought one now, as you would only find it going up to 10.5.6

So, if you are going to need to do a clean install or archive install, it could be worth getting Snow Leopard.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok but if I get snow leopard I would need to erase my hard drive?? sorry for too many questions man
Im going to find the snow leopard.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should backup first if you can.... Using CCC or SuperDuper which will give you a bootable clone of your hard drive.
This you should have anyway as if you have no luck, you can still use your mac from an external HD.
now Leopard offers no choices combines the "upgrade" and "archive" approaches by installing new software, then deleting the old system. To reduce compatibility problems, it also disables any drivers or kernel extensions it doesn't know about, moving them into a holding directory (previous system).
To clean install (erase install) you need to boot from the snow leopard DVD or from and external device and erase your hard drive in disk utility.

Main thing is to back up your HD if you are able to before doing anything, as the main aim here is to get your system up and running again.
Worst comes to worst, you have a copy of snow leopard for when you do!
Snow Leopard installation

OP
S
Reaction score
the MacBook is working again :)

after a couple of days trying to find the problem, I installed the snow leopard and its running like new again.

apparently there was some files missing on the leopard.

6string thanks for the help man

thanks for the help guys, this is a great forum :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.