Why no 'General Mac Forum'?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
There's one for Switchers. Presumably, we're not all switchers. Those who are, are we forever destined to stay in the Switchers forum?

Seems like there is a niche waiting to be filled for those of us who are no longer Switchers but Switched, and those who were never on the PC side. (it must be very few)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Isnt that what all the rest of the topics cover ? I mean the whole forum is Mac .

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I have to admit that I've scratched my head more than once trying to decide which forum to post in when what I had was more of a general message than one of the more specific sounding topics in the forum list. For example, suppose I wanted to comment on uses for the Command Key. It touches on hardware and on the OS but doesn't really fit nicely in either. I think a General Mac topic category for experienced Mac users (not switchers which implies new Mac users) would be nice.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So, you pick the one that most closely matches your topic. In the example you pointed out, OS X - Operating System is a pretty good fit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I have to admit that I've scratched my head more than once trying to decide which forum to post in when what I had was more of a general message than one of the more specific sounding topics in the forum list. For example, suppose I wanted to comment on uses for the Command Key. It touches on hardware and on the OS but doesn't really fit nicely in either. I think a General Mac topic category for experienced Mac users (not switchers which implies new Mac users) would be nice.

For teh command key, are you talking specifically about the physical key on the keyboard? Then it's hardware.

If you're talking about the function it provides, that's software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
No general Mac forum? I would think "Apple Desktops" and "Apple Notebooks" are pretty general forums. . . plus you have "Other Hardware and Peripherals", where the description states "Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion".

Software wise, you have forums for the general OS X operating system, it's applications, and developing on that OS. For other Mac OSes, you post in the "Windows, Classic, Linux, and Other OS" forum; it's description: "Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac".

I find the organization of the forums perfect here.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There's one for Switchers. Presumably, we're not all switchers. Those who are, are we forever destined to stay in the Switchers forum?

Seems like there is a niche waiting to be filled for those of us who are no longer Switchers but Switched, and those who were never on the PC side. (it must be very few)

Think of it this way...I'm sure there's a "delicate" balance between too few & too many forum categories.

Too few categories...and yes too many dissimilar topics mixed together. Too many categories...and things just become chaotic.

There will never be enough categories to perfectly satisfy all questions or topics. Just choose the forum category that you think best fits your posting...if it's not the best category to use...the admins will move it.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree with the above. And here's how I see it.
All the people new to Macintoshes who do not know where to post their questions can post in the switchers area. But ones these people become more knowledgeable with their Macintosh they will learn which areas their questions fit into. And can post in the appropriate area.

It's like the switchers area is like primary school. And when you pass that you can move into secondary school where you can place your questions in more appropriate areas.

And for me the switchers area is for all those new to Macintoshes or have basic questions about Macintoshes. It's to me more then it's area title would suggest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yeah, but....
Is everybody either a recent switcher, a long time ago switcher, or a grizzled Mac veteran? Might there not be some who are just new to computers altogether, and they happened to start with a Mac? Or, is that no longer possible in the technology age?

I'm not proposing a new forum for such people, if they exist. But a change it the title might be appropriate. Something like Switcher and New User Hangout would cover all bases. Now, I know what an ordeal it is to change a forum title, so I'm not holding my breath.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I would think the term switcher refers to a group of people who are new to the Mac environment.

Btw, has anyone read the description for the Switchers forum? I would think that's enough information to know who the forum is for. . .

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When you organize anything by categories, inevitably the mentality used to make the divisions doesn't make sense to some people.

In short... "You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right on both counts. Or, is that you and Abe?

Go look at the AppleInsider Forums. People post where it makes sense to them according to the Forum titles. But, many post in the "wrong" forum according to the descriptions.

And yes, the description of the Switcher Hangout is right on the mark.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB, 4GB RAM 500GB Hardrive
I'm not exactly sure what box I fit into with the whole 'veteran' 'long ago switcher' etc. because I used mac's at school when I did computers (I stopped doing that class about 2 years ago) and now probably have some elementary questions about mac computers but I still know most of the basics, if that makes sense? So I dont think that necessarily the switchers forum should be considered primary school, I know you were just using it as an example, but to me it seems like a place for any question that may arise about macs in relation to PCs, but then again I havent been here that long (try a day :p) so I haven't really got a feel for the forum so much, so I could be off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's not "test" of your Mac credentials that permits you to post in the "newbie" forum. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.