Upgraded HD in Macbook Pro, how do I add the serial number?

Reaction score
Like the thread title says, I bought a macbook pro with a 500 gb 7200 rpm drive that had been upgraded from the 320 GB drive, and I would like to know how to add the serial number that is on the box to the hard drive itself. I want to be able to click on "about this mac" and see my serial number there.... Is this possible? Also, sorry if this is in the wrong place, I am new to the forums, but I would be happy to move it as long as you can tell me where. O:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Click on Applications, Utilities, System Profiler.app. When the System Profiler application opens, click on Serial-ATA. Now read the hard drive serial number. :D

(It's embedded in the hard drive's firmware which is read by System Profiler)

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Click on Applications, Utilities, System Profiler.app. When the System Profiler application opens, click on Serial-ATA. Now read the hard drive serial number. :D

(It's embedded in the hard drive's firmware which is read by System Profiler)

Regards.

When I first saw the OP's post...I was going to suggest the same thing...but when I do it on my computer, my hard drive shows no serial number.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's strange. My System Profiler shows the serial number of my WD and previously showed the serial for the Hitachi that came with the machine.

What brand HDD do you have in your machine? I might have been misled by my past two drives if not all drives have their serial embedded in firmware.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
My WD Scorpio black shows mine.

Clay

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That's strange. My System Profiler shows the serial number of my WD and previously showed the serial for the Hitachi that came with the machine.

What brand HDD do you have in your machine? I might have been misled by my past two drives if not all drives have their serial embedded in firmware.

Regards.

Sorry...stupid me!:Blushing:

I was looking at the "ATA" bus (the optical drive)...instead of the serial-ATA for the hard drive. My HD serial number is there!:Blushing:

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I checked mine out too, and it does have the serial number. I was just really concerned with the potential that I couldnt file any warranty claims or at least get help with my macbook pro with apple care because of no serial number, but I found it and typed it into the online service assistant with apple and it pulled up my computer so I am assuming everything is ok for when I decide to add apple care to my computer.

OP
A
Reaction score
Also is there any programs out there, or any way I could tell the true speed of my hard drive, like how many RPMS it is?? The reason I ask this is because I bought this computer off of craigslist, and I would like to know if the seller was being truthful with me.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Go back to the same place. It will also list the model # of the drive. Then google.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.