Removing WD Smartware Icon from desktop.

Reaction score
:(Got a WD external drive for backup and the WD Smartware Icon is on my desktop and as I am not using the WD software I want to get it off my desktop but when I try to eject it or drag it to the trash it just goes right back to the desktop. If I drag it into the finder it just makes an alias and goes right back to the desktop. Turned off the HD but when I turned it back on same problem
Any suggestion on how to get rid of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
How did the icon get there - did u use an installer to add software? If so, the run the install app again in the hope that there is an uninstall function available.

OP
Greysquirrel34
Reaction score
How did the icon get there - did u use an installer to add software? If so, the run the install app again in the hope that there is an uninstall function available.
After I connected the HD to my computer and turned the HD on it showed up on my desktop along with the icon for the MY Book icon.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apparently you're not the only one who is trying to remove the WD Smartware from their desktop. It's also a Windows problem.

See if this helps.

One sure way to remove it is to use Disk Utility to wipe the drive, and reformat it. If you decide to do that, make sure you remove any data from the drive that you need first.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.